Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the Wolverine (1080p) scanner deal with 4:3 aspect ratios from Super 8 film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
    The real optical resolution of the Wolverine MM is around 800x600 pixels. How do I know. I know because i used the same optics that the MM uses and the same sensor but different camera model where I can grab the individual frames and I get only 800x600 pixels for the S8 film. The MM camera produces the S8 images with 1440x1080 pixels so the only way I can explain this is that they resized the images. And yes it is like a digital zoom in a way. Pretty bad.
    That's clever. I now get what you did. You reused the same lens, but swapped out the stock Wolverine camera with a different camera that uses the same sensor as the Wolverine MM Pro, in order to glean information on how the MM Pro operates. I reread your first post, but I'm still unclear as to the reasons for why the image ends up cropped. How did you come up with that 800x600 figure?

Is the cropping done because the Wolverine is trying to remove the overscanned bits, out of convenience for the end user? Or, is the cropping done because only part of the sensor is receiving any kind of light to begin with, because of the decision to go with a 6mm lens, so that, rather than show the whole image with a bunch of black pixels, the Wolverine ends up cropping the surrounding black borders of the whole image, before deciding to double up what's left to get to the final 1440x1080 image size?

Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
    Regarding your lens quality comment.
    The 6mm lens is actually a good quality lens based on my testing. But with the 6mm lens you cover only a smaller portion of the sensor. See my image in the previous comment. Replacing the lens with a 8 or 12mm lens would cover more sensor area and would give higher resolution. But they could not do that because the unit has to support both film formats, so some overscan is necessary and also that would require a larger spacing between the film and the sensor. That means possibly larger unit and a major redesign.
    Also,​ not that I'm trying to dispute the second paragraph, since it kind of makes sense, but why would a 6mm lens cover a smaller portion of the sensor versus an 8 or 12mm lens? I'm just having trouble visualizing why that would be the case.​

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Daniels View Post
      I reread your first post, but I'm still unclear as to the reasons for why the image ends up cropped. How did you come up with that 800x600 figure?
      Check his image of the film with the test pattern. This is what the sensor records at 1440x1080. As you can see the sensor registers almost 3 frames. It has to be cropped significantly to give you 1 clean frame. He cropped it down to 1 frame and looked at how many pixels he ended up with which was 800x600 pixels. So this is the real size of 1 scanned frame.

Comment

In all REAL projector transports there will always be framing adjustment, to mechanically center the film frame to the optical axis. If that's the case it would be possible to use higher magnification lens to cover more sensor area with the entire film frame, while having only slight overscan for final cropping.

Unfortunately since there's no means to optically correct the framing position they simply chose to use low magnification lens in order to cover grossly large area, then digitally crop in heavily to capture only a single frame.

A pretty wasteful approach IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Daniels View Post
          Also,​ not that I'm trying to dispute the second paragraph, since it kind of makes sense, but why would a 6mm lens cover a smaller portion of the sensor versus an 8 or 12mm lens? I'm just having trouble visualizing why that would be the case.​
          I think me meant to say that a 6mm covers a larger portion of the film (not a smaller portion of the sensor). An 8 or 12mm lens would give you a higher magnification and thus scan a smaller part of the film, leaving you with with more pixels per frame.
          The easiest way to end up with a higher resolution while still keeping the lens system as it is would be to use a camera with a higher resolution sensor. Which is exactly what they've done with the Kodak Reels.

Comment

Yes that is what I meant. Smaller focal length will cover more of the film gate making the useful area smaller on the sensor. Like when you have a skyscraper image taken with a fisheye lens (very small focal length) will fit the whole skyscraper onto the sensor but your apt window will be tiny and have only a few pixels to it and hence lower resolution as comparing to the 400mm lens.

Comment

Working...
            X