How to scan frames from damaged film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to scan frames from damaged film?

I recently found some old films that look like they were in a fire. A total of 3 canisters and reels with a CR logo on them. The letter C wraps around the R in a circle. I was told these films were from the 1930's or 40's. All the film is melted and stuck together and I was just about to slash it all off and throw it away to keep the reels but I decided to gently flake as much as I could off and examine the frames little by little with a magnified glass. To my surprise I started finding frames that are very clear. The films are black & white with scenes of a father and son steering a wooden speedboat. I can't just throw it away now. I need to try and save some of these images.

My question is, how can I scan these on a flatbed scanner without damaging them further? all the strips I've flaked off are warped and very brittle. If I try to flatten a few frames they crack and the image is gone forever. Is there a way to soften the film so I can safely flatten them? Any suggestions?

And yes I know this is crazy but these images are just too good to throw away.
    Thanks

EDIT: Just realized I should of posted this in the Film & Digital Conversion Board

Chris,

I would suggest doing a test by soaking a few frames in a film lubricant such as FilmGuard.

Doug

Comment

I would add to that that I would try some frames that you weren't going to scan when testing first, just in case of damage to good ones.

Comment

A few years ago I had the laborious job of transferring around 80 Pathe Baby cassettes most of which were in a similar state. I promised nothing due to the condition of them. I took one cassette apart and soaked film in warm water overnight a bit drastic perhaps and next day slowly peeled the film back finally washing and hanging on a line to dry. Did all the films this way with reasonable success but it will really depend how bad the films are.

The 9.5 film I did then had been severely poorly stored in a high temperature country and very badly shrunken as a result. The soaking did help a great deal but by no means a perfect.

Finally I lubricated the films with WD40 (far from ideal) and scanned them. It was really an impossible job as they curl terribly and I swore never to take on that job again.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions! I will give both options a try and report back.

Comment

Hey everyone. I finally managed to scan some of these frames a couple months ago. The FilmGuard helped, but these films are extremely delicate. Im surprised I could get anything from these reels.

You can find them on my instagram story highlight https://www.instagram.com/stories/hi...5004895323567/
            If that link doesn't work you can find it under the highlight titled 1938 https://www.instagram.com/8mmwindow/

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X