Modular DIY Film Scanner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular DIY Film Scanner?

Though this is related to Stan and crew’s fabulous Wolverine mods, I thought I’d start a new thread instead of cluttering up another.

I have the Hawkeye Mod for the Wolverine and it’s very good. But the build quality of the Wolverine unit itself (not Stans work) and my frequent enough annoyance with the IC Capture interface got me to thinking about ‘future proofing’ and the possibility of a modular type setup for a DIY film scanner or Telecine. The Hawkeye Wolverine is great for my capturing purposes. I prefer the image sequence over a video file. I have Adobe Premiere Pro, so I can easily import an image sequence, adjust the speed, color, contrast, crop, exposure, fix frame movement, etc, and export it to any video file and size I want.

My dream setup is a scanner that can operate without a PC interface (preferably) and with any digital camera, which allows for easy upgrades when a new and improved model comes out a few years later.

I’m curious if anyone has the interest and time to build the scanner ‘guts’ that are beyond my skill set. I have zero skills in micro soldering, board building, figuring out voltage, etc. What I can do is build everything else... boxes, lights, camera and motor brackets and such. I have rewinds, so a rewinding function is not needed.

So I’m thinking of a board that does the following...

1- Runs on plug-in power.

2- Advances a motor or two for the take up reel and possibly the ‘pull down claw’. (Film advance design yet to be determined).

3- Activates a DSLR camera shutter with a plug in cable. USB perhaps? It would be nice for it to be non camera specific, but that might not be possible.

4- Has 2-3 speed modes in case longer exposures are needed. (1 sec, 2 sec, 3 sec?)

5- Has the ability to do 16mm as well. I’d figure out the mechanics of that, I would just need the program movement to compensate for 16mm frame. (This is optional. It might be easier to build a separate board for a separate 16mm scanner).

6- Starts and stops all functions with one switch. Switch can be added by me as long as I have the wires from the board.

7- Overbuilt to be jostled and last forever. Thick wires, high capacity components, in-line fuse or breaker and such. I’d like to get 20 years of use out of the board. Motors and cameras will come and go.

8- Uses common, easy to find motor(s) that can be replaced with simple soldering.

Of course, I’m not asking for free work. My budget isn’t large, but I’d pay for time and expenses.

So any thoughts, suggestions, words of dire warning?

Can't comment about electronics/programming work. That's not my thing.

But about mechanical topic - for most DIY work I strongly recommend using the projector mechanism for the film transport. You already have what you need most - precise movement to move the film exactly each and every frame for a long period of time.

No need to re-invent the wheel - to say at least.

About capturing process I prefer KISS - using a digital compact camera with good manual control and wired remote shutter release to get still image sequence out of the film. The rest should be easy then.

Comment

Hi Douglas. Definitely doable but the mechanics are the key. I am pretty busy with the Hawkeye bard but once I am done we can discuss.

Comment

Working...
      X