Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which 8mm projector to use running at 24/25fps for digital conversion, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 8mm projector to use running at 24/25fps for digital conversion, please?

Hi everyone

I have had some success transferring some Super 8 film (recorded at 18fps) onto digital by altering the speed of my Hanimex projector to 25fps, capturing the projected image at 25fps and slowing the speed manually in my video editing software - It comes out flicker free.

I'd like to do the same thing but with some Standard 8mm film.
    Could anyone recommend a suitable (low cost) standard 8mm projector that would be capable of running the film at 24/25fps, please? (Or that I could 'tweak' to make it so) so I can do a similar thing (downconverting to 16fps rather than 18fps)?

(The speed of the video capturing device I am using is locked to 25fps).

Thank you
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Manders; January 05, 2024, 01:07 PM.

Most of dual8 projectors (late models, such as Sankyo dualux 1000/2000) can be run at up to 24 fps. With slight modifications/adjustments it would run at 25 fps without any issues too.

Comment

Chris
      You are confusing film FPS and VIDEO FPS.
      I have no doubt your capture device in PAL land is 25fps interlaced AKA 50i.
      If the film is shot at 16 FPS tweaking the projector to run at 16.66 assuming 3 bladed shutter will be flicker free.
      Irrespective of what speed your projector is set your VIDEO will have 25 frames.
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

Yes I adjusted my Sankyo 301, which had preset potentiometers in the motor circuit, to run at 25/16.66 fps by adjusting looking at a monitor plugged into the video camera abd adjusting until there was no flicker.

Comment

Working...
        X