Elmo TRV16 with RPI HD Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo TRV16 with RPI HD Camera

This is no ordinary TRV16 with old technology low rez camera. This unit has been modified with the Raspberry Pi HD camera with 1440x1080 resolution.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20240101_192833315.jpg Views:	0 Size:	364.8 KB ID:	94247
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20240101_180229140.jpg Views:	0 Size:	318.3 KB ID:	94248

The RPI with its camera replaces the old camera and reuses the old camera mount so once the
    covers are on you would not see any difference between the old and modified unit.
    The only noticeable difference is the two switches on the top replacing the color adjustment knobs.
    The switches are used to run the HDMI combined video and sound preview and record to the internal micro SD.

The unit comes equipped with the HDMI cable, AC cord and external USB connector for the USB stick.
    The video can be either saved to the external HDMI recorder, or internal memory and then transferred to the
    USB stick.

The Unit also has a small wireless keyboard that provides access to full RPI functionality including the
    WiFi access from another computer on the local network.
    The camera full functionality can be controlled through the wireless keyboard or over the WiFi.
    For simple no nonsense record and preview the two switches are included and the preview/record operation can be started
    with just a flick of the switch.

Video Quality
    The 16mm high quality lens gives extremely sharp videos.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-2023-12-18-22h51m16s983.png Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	94249

The global shutter camera combined with the 5 blade shutter wheel gives flickerless videos with
    beautiful colors.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14lk...ew?usp=sharing
    The sound at the beginning is distorted because there was no film lead on this clip to allow for the sound flywheel
    to spin up.

I started the project with Kim. He originally restored the old projector and got it working properly.
    I fixed one of the transport gears. That was a project in itself. The gear has a nasty crack in it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	gear_clamp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	94250
    Clamped the gear and epoxied two disks on each side.
    And this is what the result looked like:

Click image for larger version  Name:	gear_fixed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.2 KB ID:	94251
    Was not sure it this would work, but id DID, Yeah!!!
    Then after that, several weeks of RPI mods, software, testing etc etc.
    Lots of work, but it was tons of fun and very happy with the results.

Definitely the PROPER way to "upgrade" this otherwis excellent telecine projector!

Comment

Yes there is an Elmo TRV 16mm for sale listed now at

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13477477...Bk9SR-T5npnQYw

Comment

How fast does it take pictures? Or does it take video instead? I'm guessing the latter?

Comment

It runs real time, 24 FPS.

Comment

This is something I'm looking to do to a similar model (TRV-16G). I think I saw you had a 'kit' on sale on ebay, but can't seem to find it. I'm assuming the camera mounts may be slightly different...

Comment

Hi Dennis. I sold the kit. But I can send you the camera mount bracket so you can check if it will fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
                Hi Dennis. I sold the kit. But I can send you the camera mount bracket so you can check if it will fit.
                That would be fantastic! I work at a museum and if you wanted to 'donate' it you could even count it as a tax deduction

By any chance was it 3d printed? I have access to and frequently use one, so if you had an STL file it would be even easier...

Thanks so much!

Comment

Ii will send you the STL file Dennis.

Comment

Just noticed something. The main drive motor in this machine seems very different from usual 16-CL ones. Can I have a closer look at it?

Comment

Here is the motor detail for TRV16. Click image for larger version

Name:	motor.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	100505

Comment

Working...
                      X