Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Films and Film Directors not in my collection . Part ( 1 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Films and Film Directors not in my collection . Part ( 1 )

We all have our own particular tastes and favourite genres when it comes to film collecting and watching movies in general .

However over my long career as a Cinema Projectionist i showed very many of those so called " Blockbuster " movies over the decades .

A lot of them i personally disliked at the time for various reasons . Some of them i felt were just plain overhyped or i simply i got bored watching them , showing and over exposed to them . I may even have owned them at one time and later disposed of them from my collection . It may have been due to bad acting , their narratives , underlying sub texts or propaganda becoming very apparent to me over repeated viewings . Therefore i never want to see them again . So you will not find them in my film collection on any format for home viewing .

I will start the ball rolling with something that is very topical at the moment .

The entire STAR WARS series .

Spoken like a true Trekkie David. Mind you they even worse.

All the Marvel / DC comics movies and franchises. All the Batman movies except the one Michelle Pffieffer was in. Quentin Tarantino movies and finally the LOTR and Hobbit movies. Overstretched to the maximum with Endless forests and weird looking creatures.

Comment

Cant think of any, I never watched films when I worked as a projectionist except looking at the screen to check the focus, always to busy with other things. If I wanted to watch a film right through I came in my own time to see it. In saying that I did once, and it was only once in 10 years, I went into a screening and watched "Mr Bean Holiday" even then, I nearly got caught out forgetting the time the other films were finishing. To date I have never got round to watching any of the LOTR films to long for me, but cinema wise a good income earner. In later years during retirement it was time to catch up with many of those films we once screened, at last I had the time to put my feet up, and catch up with what I had missed during those 10 years.

Comment

Superhero films, nearly a complete waste of time, though "Logan" was quite good, and a guilty pleasure? "Guardians of the Galaxy", ( haven't seen the third). I think "Blockbuster", is a term that is used to categorize films that are incredibly popular, and the very fact that they are popular to the average Joe, others, not necessarily "film snobs", hate them just because they are popular with the common man, and then, those that they like, typically the "artsy fartsy" films by directors who couldn't make a good film if they're lives depended on it, are highly favored, but then, the average Joe couldn't understand them, because they're just too dumb. Personally, I like everything from Orson Welles and the other great directors of the 40's, to a few directors today, but boy, the artsy fartsy films that win all of the awards today? Who the heck trusted these morons with a roll of film in the first place? And, as we all know,an academy Award winning film, doesn't mean that they are any good. They are just the "approved" subjects to promote the agenda of the day. Just give me pure, good ole popcorn films with a decent script that isn't trying to shove politically correct tripe down my throat, (well, that's most films today). Note: Not accusing anyone on here with snobbery.

Comment

Well, as a 6 year old kid who already liked cinema, having seen the likes of Bambi, Herbie and Dr. Who, Star Wars was literally in a different universe.

And as for The Empire Strikes Back, well as a kid from the North-East of England, it showed me that there was a whole new world (universe, lol) of possibilities out there.

Ok, the rest were pretty average to awful...

Mike, c'mon...The Wrath of Khan...? Surely great popcorn fun.

Then came Raiders of the Lost Ark...just fun, adventure and a heady mix of violence thrown in...just what an 11 year old kid wants. But no message or propaganda.

That isn't to say that when I was old enough to see the more grown up movies from the 70's that there weren't many with messages that were perfectly great and worthy works.

Osi, I've tried to see the Marvel films just so I can sort of stay in touch, but like yourself...hmm.

But I do like Guardians of the Galaxy. So well written; the last one, albeit a bit overblown, will not disappoint, although it is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster!

And Deadpool is just such a blast. Offensive, yes, self-referential, totally, but in a really intelligent way. My goodness, not for kids, but a huge lot of fun.

So lately...Barbie I thought was great entertainment. Not what anyone expected and so much the better for it. Then again, can Ryan Gosling do anything badly?

Oppenheimer...hmm...maybe I'm the only one that thinks this, but it's a NO from me. Technically brilliant but with two story threads running together that feels more like padding out a one hour movie into two. And unnecessary nudity that to me, just makes Christopher Nolan look like an adolescent rather than than God like figure Hollywood makes him out to be. At least you could hear what actors were saying in this one...

Last movie I saw that I really liked was Last Night in Soho. Ultimately, a pretty average, non-original story, but so well put together and with such great performances that the whole craft of it just draws you in. One of very few new movies that I would watch again.

Sorry David, I'm supposed to be thinking of bad movies...plenty of those...

Comment

Some good replies here guys . Thanks !

Mike Newell i am not a fan of Star Trek movies either . As for the DC / Marvel comic books they do not in my opinion transfer well to to big screen movies . Good FX though ! I have been a comic book reader and collector since i was a wee laddie . However DC Comics were always my favourites and i was never a huge fan of Marvel Comics books though and that includes The Avengers , Spiderman , The Fantastic Four and The X Men . However I do like a couple of them though namely Doctor Strange and Iron Man .

Graham Ritchie i used to see most of the films i was showing either at Press Preview Shows , Staff Showings , or at the end of an morning / afternoon shift or on one of my days off . When i worked for a certain well known cinema chain i could watch them during a morning film check run through . We actually had to inspect and keep a written record of every film we showed off of the film make up bench , of every reel condition for image and sound as to how it was on the screen before it was shown to the public . Not a bad thing in my opinion as any problems would become evident before "joe public" had a chance to see it . A bad thing however for myself and the other projectionists concerned if the movie was terrible ! Oh how we suffered at times . When i was a Chief Projectionist employed at a couple of independent " Art House " cinemas the owners did not mind me coming in early in the morning to run through and watch a film .

Rob Young there is quite a bit of political propaganda and hidden messages and otherwise very evident in a lot of movies . Once noticed you cannot help yourself but see it every time you watch it ! Even in the so called fun movies . However i will not go there . ( LOL )

Comment

David, you imply that I live in a form of ignorance.

Thank you and goodbye.
              Last edited by Rob Young; May 06, 2024, 01:02 PM.

Comment

David we never had the luxury of time to do what you did, films would arrive in most cases only a couple of days before screening so it was a matter of inspecting them on make up for the platter plus getting the ads and trailers all on at the same time. An example would be the "Harry Potter" films, first box to arrive would be eg reels 1,3,5,7,9, a day or so later the second box with reels 2,4.6.8. I idea was to make sure no one would screen the films any sooner than they had to be, so test screening was out. That was not always the case, but it did happen quite often. I did attend a special screening by Disney of WALL-E at Reading cinemas, and spoke to, or should I say pleaded to the Disney guy there for a print. I even said we will screen it 6 times a day just to get it. We did get a print, but like so many second hand prints coming in from the US at the time, discovered a nasty base scratch during make-up, even though spare prints of this title were hard to get, but after a bit more pleading on the phone we were sent another one, and that one was good. We just made it time wise the night before the school holidays were to start

The "Spiderman" films were ok, but it was the series of "Harry Potter" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" films were the big money spinners for the place. We used to do the odd staff screening in the past, but over the years they became rare due to the time frame of getting the prints. The way I looked at the job of projecting was really to make sure they hit the screen on time, in focus and at the right sound level for the type and size of the audience. There were only two full time and one part time projectionists so we the projectionists made our own roster for the best time off from the place as much as possible.

Funny thing the last few weeks ago I posted some photos of the place on this city "Facebook" page, in less than a week I was surprised it had 570 likes and comments all positive of the place, so I guess we must have done things right.

The posters show just some of the films screening at the time in one week.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	movieland.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	100408
                This is one of the weekly school holidays screening schedule that has survived, I threw the rest out, so if I was was on the weekend roster projecting I would come in an hour before the start and went home after the last film was out, in between doing film work, sitting down and working things out for the following week for the news papers took a lot of time up, working within our contractual agreements.

Name:	movieland-2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	100409
                In all cases this is where you pick up any damage to a film before it goes onto a platter, If damage is found then a report is made out and sent to the film distributor.
                Other than that its the first screening of that print you keep a close eye on, usually as with the school holidays, with a full cinema of parents and there children, its always a relief and then we can then tick that one of as OK

Name:	movieland-1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	100410
                Harry Potter fans

Name:	movieland-3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	100411

Comment

I can't generalize and dismiss entire genres. While the majority of any particular type of film may be subpar, there are lots of excellent movies out there, in many categories. I'll take them on a one by one basis.

David & Graham, I always thought projectionists at single screen theatres got a lot of reading done. You can only watch a film just so many times!

Comment

Hi Doug

I guess they had more time on there hands The number of people who say to me, you must watch a lot of films? my reply is always the same, never had the time, except for Mr Bean Holiday and even that I nearly got caught out, when staff came looking for me to tell me the films screening in other cinemas were finishing. I did get to see the end of Mr Bean, later but I would never bother otherwise. Film prints were always coming and going during the week, when I arrived in the morning it really was like Christmas when a film distributor would send us trailers, posters, heaps of promotional stuff. I once asked for extra trailers for Super 8 the movie, guess where they in time landed up? Val Morgan the advertising people would fax us the ads they wanted on various films on Tuesday, so on Wednesday I would snake the prints on there last screening, come in early the next day on the Thursday and either fit new ones or shuffle the existing ones onto the films they wanted them on in a particular order. They all had to be done for the first screening on the Thursday. Val Morgan could at any time do spot checks, not only with us but with Reading and Hoyts as well, advertising was worth about $40.000 a year to the cinema, people might not like them but its an important income not to mess up.

One of the things I did in doing the weekly schedule was to check what screening times down the road at Hoyts had. People coming into the city, where we were had to pass us to get to Hoyts, so if they had the same film as us, and they were going to screen it say at 8.15pm. I would do ours for 8.00pm the idea was to undercut them. Same as one of our managers who would book private hires, we were the cheapest in town until Hoyts complained to the film companies complaining they could not compete, but for quite a while we were doing a roaring trade with the privates.

I do remember going into one school holidays where the other full time projectionist got the swine flu, there was no way I was going to do 14 hour days for two weeks in that projection room, I would go nuts so got young Chris involved. I simply said you do half I will do the other half getting him saved the day and my sanity.

Guess the reel name of the film print in this box marked Darwins Revenge

Name:	darwins revenge-1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	100431

The Snake for doing the weekly ads and trailer changes

Name:	DSCF5151.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	100432
                    Lawrence Of Arabia getting a David Lean film ready for screening, took quite a bit of time checking before going onto a platter.

Name:	Lawrence of Arabia.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	100433

Comment

Actually, not goodbye as I have really taken offence with this comment;

"Rob Young there is quite a bit of political propaganda and hidden messages and otherwise very evident in a lot of movies . Once noticed you cannot help yourself but see it every time you watch it ! Even in the so called fun movies . However i will not go there . ( LOL ) "

David, there is nothing worse than an, "I know better" comment without foundation.

If you want to stand by this, then please back it up.

I'm completely willing to listen to your argument, but please don't dismiss me as an uneducated fool with a LOL and wink.​

Comment

Hi Graham . I was sorry and sad to read about your working conditions and lack of time off at your cinema and the manner in which you received your prints with only random reels of a half a feature arriving at a time . That was simply terrible to read .

Even when i was first employed as an apprentice projectionist in a good old single screen , 2000 thousand seater , carbon arc , two projector changeover system cinema away back in 1969 such a situation was a very rare event in those pre cakestand / long play platter systems , single projector , single man automation operation days .

We always had at least two projection team members on shift during the day and evening shows away back then . It was illegal and against health and fire safety regulations to do otherwise . If someone took ill or was on holiday a relief projectionist was called in order to cover shifts . Mind you they had to be a fully qualified (3 - 4 years ) trained , time served skilled projectionist and produce a valid Projectionist Certificate to do so otherwise they would never have been employed . We had a very strong and capable Trade Union membership and representation in those days .

Even when i was employed in the 3 Screen cinemas and 7 - 9 Screen Multiplexes we always had a 4 man projection team .

P.S. I can remember showing LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and other epics on single reels on the carbon arc change - over projector set ups .

Comment

Hi Douglas

Yes it is true that projectionists at one time that in a single screen cinema projectionists could get some reading done during a film performance but if and only if their projector was not showing a reel of film or there was nothing else to do within the projection box. We had two projectors namely (1) and (2) . One operator for each projector on the shift . When your machine was projecting a reel you strictly had to sit by it watching and listening and looking at the screen for any problems and always adjusting the carbon arc rods for even light distribution over the screen or focus if need be . Good film and sound presentation was the order of the day away back then . Sadly that rule did not apply in all cinemas and to all film projectionists .

Comment

Hello Rob

I have just read your comments . I have to state that in know way was i was implying no such things towards yourself or any other members of this forum .
                            So no offence was ever intended towards yourself or anyone else . You seem to have misunderstood and taken as a personal dig at you for some reason or other my ... " However i will not go there . ( LOL ) " part of my comment . ​

Also on this film forum i would never debate or argue with any member about the political propaganda or religious bias that is quite apparent and intrinsic in some movies by certain film directors . The reason being i would be in breach of this forum's policies . I hope this comment clears up the matter . Regards and Cheers !

Comment

Hi David

That's nothing compared to my time in aviation getting any time of there was a tough one. First you had to make out a leave application, that went to the shift supervisor, if he is happy, it went to the hanger maintenance supervisor for his OK. If you got past those two, the leave application headed to the Engineering manager for his final OK, then with a bit of luck it was approved. If you wanted a week of at eg Christmas, then it was best to get your leave application in months earlier. Airlines are reluctant to give any time off if they are busy, in fact it will most likely be turned down if that's the case. Usually we would work out our holidays or time of well in advance. Sick leave was another one quite often like Ansett NZ you could find yourself on your own with a work package eg in the cockpit, for say three weeks, problem is if you get sick is for them finding someone who is going to take over, as staffing numbers was always critical. I don't ever remember filling in for someone sick, although in saying that if you are really unwell, you have to take time of, everyone understands that, but you better be genuine.

My concern back in those good ole days, was when I was on tarmac roster and having to be out there at 3.30am to get the aircraft ready for the around 5am departures. I remember once on a cold wet winter morning, on my own finding one of two Dart engine ignitor units not working. I raced back to the hanger went into the store raced back, fitted it, tested the ignitors, passengers came out, plane few away, my boss forgetting to come in early, more like 7am saying "sorry" he forgot he had an early start giving him the paper work to sort out and me heading to have some breakfast at the terminal, which I should add was all paid for by the company and the cooked breakfast back then was great.

So working in a projection room is pretty good compared to those days, nothing then was ever straight forward. I remember one night. I had to tow the F27 Friendship from its gate to the Air New Zealand hanger, sounds simple enough, except the main taxiway was getting work done on it, so I was instructed to tow the aircraft onto a main runway and return to the taxiway further down. Now towing an aircraft along a active main runway late at night in my book is not a good idea, so double checked my permission from the tower before going onto it. Now that particular night our main tug was getting fixed, so I was forced to use our old "Massey Ferguson" farm tractor, from the I guess the 60s or older, in truth it was a bit of a struggle for the old girl going down the main runway, with a 737 being told follow the Mt Cook tug an Ansett BA146 being told to follow the 737. It was like follow the leader, then the tower said to me to return back in on another taxiway to get in front of a Qantas 747 that was taxing. My thinking at that time was I don't want to be on this two mile single stretch of taxiway with no way off with a 747 on my tail, followed by a 737 and a BA146. The 747 can taxi a lot quicker than I can tow with the Fergie, what if the old 4 cylinder engine conks out?. not only would I be stuck but those behind as well. I did call the tower and suggested that the 747 does go first, then I will come in behind it which he went with. I did get to the end, did a right turn for the Air New Zealand hanger the others went left. I don't have an actual photo of our "Massey Ferguson" but it was this model, plus I found today my old pre-flight list for the 748 that I kept in my top pocket....ah memories I have a lot of respect for that old farm tractor

Name:	Massey Ferguson.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	100495
                              The F27 ...

Name:	Fokker_F.27_100_ZK-BXF_Mt_Cook_Rotorua_27.02.92R_edited-3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	100496
                              This was the pre-fight HS748 morning list you could get through it in 20 minutes, and still got it

Name:	P1370814.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	100497

Name:	P1370815.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	100500
                              The Rolls Royce Dart engine was fitted to many aircraft types and was very reliable, now a roped of museum display, funny when you see things like this and it brings back memories of working on them, how time passes.

Name:	RRDart.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	100499

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X