Origin of Boycott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of Boycott

Long long ago in a Galaxy far far away I remember Fyfe Robertson used to appear regular on TV , he was brilliant, so here is Fyfe Robertson from 1963, yes I was 11 years old at the time, how time flies

As that clip shows, he was on the programme "Tonight" just after the early evening news which wasn't allowed to have any news items so they came up with a singer (Cy Grant?) performing a "Topical Calypso" to get round that. I remember, maybe from a repeat, the piece he did about a river that seemed to flow uphill, .
    I think they have re-invented the show, without such strict resstrictions, and now call it "The One Show".

Comment

A boycott is what a boy sleeps on when a man sized cott is just too big for the boy. Boycott.

Comment

"Higher Purchase"

-where brave budgies sit.

-Benny Hill

Comment

There was a 1947 movie about a historical event in 1840s in Ireland. It claims was this was the origin of the word boycott in the English language Saw the movie once decades ago. Think it was the beginnings of Channel 4 in early 1980s. It is a strange mix of comedy and drama. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s out there in super 8 world somewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Boycott_(film)

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
            Long long ago in a Galaxy far far away I remember Fyfe Robertson used to appear regular on TV , he was brilliant, so here is Fyfe Robertson from 1963, yes I was 11 years old at the time, how time flies
            Mr Robertson seemed to concentrate on those odd little stories that make life interesting. Most of his videos are available on the BBC website (which blocks users outside the UK. I did find some on youtube. Here is one about bickering neighbors:

the wall - county Durham-1962

Comment

An "Origin" is a fruit, much like a tangerine, and quite tasty!

Comment

That's a pity if you cant see it however its also on a another you-tube channel, mentioned above also a film version of "Captain Charles Boycott" I have never seen it, must look out for it. Its interesting where names can originate, quite educational really
                Click image for larger version

Name:	film-captain-boycott-1947-02.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	101670

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                  That's a pity if you cant see it however its also on a another you-tube channel, mentioned above also a film version of "Captain Charles Boycott" I have never seen it, must look out for it. Its interesting where names can originate, quite educational really

I have not seen (or even heard of) that film. We are in luck. The full movie is on Youtube:

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM5sKKXvrI

Comment

Working...
                  X