Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a week it was

WHAT A WEEK IT WAS

Tonight Sunday June 9th I sit here at my desktop writing this post. It’s the very end of my break – and I am back to the grind of work starting tomorrow. I don’t think I have ever had such an interesting week.

It began with a trip to a historic movie theater in down town Tampa. One afternoon of pure celluloid history. The show might have been digital. But movie theaters with 1200 seats that opened in 1926 are few and far between. And I was there up close and personal.

Then after a few days of quiet….

I decided to pack up a small wagon – hook up to my 50CC scooter and travel across the state of Florida. From Brooksville to Daytona Beach. It was 128 miles one way through rural country roads. Three gas tank fill ups at a total cost of $8.50. The scooter is rated at 110 miles per gallon.

The thing about the gas gauges on these bikes is they can stay up at the (F)ull indicator for a very long time. But when they start to drop – they drop quickly. So it is advised to tank up at ½ capacity rather than risk running out.

That was not a problem for me as I fill up (@ ½) every 50 miles. And my route was divided in three sections and they averaged 45- 50 miles each.

At 8:30 on a Wednesday morning I was on my way. Brooksville to Groveland due East on route 50. Then in Groveland I got on route 19 and took it North to Astor. From there it was route 40 East to my destination.

The first week of June, Florida summer heat averaging 92 F but feeling like 100 and I’m cruising across the state on a small scooter. About 28 miles per hour. I saw the congested traffic of route 441 a bypass in the middle of 19. I saw the untouched beauty of Florida land still in its purest state of not being developed by mankind. Nothing but trees and wildlife on both sides of a 20 mile road (route 445 connecting between route 19 & 40 through Astor).

If you want to know what a trip like this is like – check out scooter videos on YouTube. I’ve seen many of them and really wanted to try this.

One of those scooter videos his name is Quasimotard. Last year he was in a terrible accident on his Hunter motorcycle. He spent the last 8 months recovering and is riding again. His videos have been a real inspiration for me to try it myself.

Note: 1 hour by car = 2 HOURS BY SCOOTER.

Thank you Quasi for being who you are and doing what you do for the love of the ride.

Quasi on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@QuasiMotard

Great writeup Chip. Enjoyed reading it.

Comment

Not much protection to those things, though, and these days, I wouldn't trust riding one on the open road. There's always some bozo who might think running one off the road is they're idea of a prank.

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
        Not much protection to those things, though, and these days, I wouldn't trust riding one on the open road. There's always some bozo who might think running one off the road is they're idea of a prank.
        The major problem is that if you are on a bike, scooter, or motorcycle other drivers do not see you. It's basic human nature. Other large vehicles are a threat to drivers and they watch for them. Someone on a bike is not a threat and is ignored.

Comment

Working...
        X