The 8 Sci-Fi Movies Of 1982 That Changed Everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 8 Sci-Fi Movies Of 1982 That Changed Everything

In 1982, eight science fiction films were released within eight weeks of each other: E.T., Tron, Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, Conan the Barbarian, Blade Runner, Poltergeist, The Thing, and Mad Max: The Road Warrior. Entertainment writer Chris Nashawaty talks to Tonya Mosley about how those movies shaped the genre and the movie industry. His book is The Future Was Now.
    Listen here:

https://www.npr.org/2024/07/31/1197972981/sci-fi-1982​

Barely half of those films are science fiction

Comment

Still, fantasy or science fiction, the overall look of sci-fi was taking a big leap, though, to give credit where credit is due, this wouldn't have happened without Star Wars CE3K and ALIEN. Those films set the bar high, as, people would now demand a higher grade of special effects than before. I'm always quite amused when I see the low tech of "Logans Run" ( still a guilty pleasure), and less than a year later, Star Wars.

Comment

I could not disagree more. It is the writers opinion. He has obviously not considered the many films that used special effects before the ones he has mentioned and how they were achieved before the age of computer technology and the development of CGI. Science fiction films were made right back to the birth of the cinema. The fact that they are more realistic is due to the technology that is available today. The genre has always been popular with cinema goers. However, there is a danger that it will decline due to the production of too many sequels or prequels which tend to become repetitive in plot and action and thus rather predictable. The cgi technology has now reached the stage where live actors are no longer needed.

Comment

That's a scary statement Ken, but I fear, true. We watched that new Indiana Jones film, and the cgi character of Indy was unnervingly accurate. The thought of bringing back dead actors is also a little bit scary, although, if you could find a person that sounds exactly like Christopher Lee, and had Lee as Dracula, rising from the dead, I might just get into that!😃

Comment

Wasn't an early "Back from the dead" via CGI Oliver Reed in Gladiator, when he died during production?

Comment

I'm not sure if they did that, or they just had a stand in. He died shortly before his last shots were done.

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                I'm not sure if they did that, or they just had a stand in. He died shortly before his last shots were done.
                I recall Ellen Burstyn telling the story of a star who died on the set before his co-star had completed his shots talking to the now dead co-star. They propped up the dead man, and shot over his shoulder to get the final shots for the scene. She never gave the name of the movie or the star who died.

Comment

I think you are right about Oliver Reed Brian. I seem to remember it being mentioned on a regular tv programme about the latest films. Cannot remember the name of it or the compère. That’s one of the problems of old age! I will remember it later today!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X