Oppenheimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oppenheimer

Just viewed this film on DVD in segments. Curious, if you saw the film in theaters ....was it shown with an intermission break ? Although, I liked the film, I do not think I would of as much, if I had to view it uninterrupted for 3 hours. Of course , the cinema experience is more immersive so this is hard to estimate. But I feel like a 3 hour film should be screened with an intermission like they were in the past.

Thomas,

I saw Oppenheimer at an IMAX screening, without an intermission. I was completely involved in the story and didn't look at my watch once.

Comment

IMO much better films have been made documenting the development, test, and deployment of the atomic bomb. Fat Man and Little Boy for one. I found Oppenheimer interesting but not exceptional, and I have no desire to see it again. Repeatability for me is the mark of a great movie and Oppenheimer does'nt do it for me. Maybe if I had seen it in IMAX. instead of on my 10ft wide home cinema screen, I would feel differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
        Thomas,

I saw Oppenheimer at an IMAX screening, without an intermission. I was completely involved in the story and didn't look at my watch once.
        Same here Doug. I watched it at home and the best place to do your own intermission is when Oppenheimer comes up with the name "Trinity". See my review at: https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...2745#post92745

Comment

You would imagine they’d take the intermission and send the audience down to the snack bar since that’s where most of the revenue comes from anyway!

I saw it in the local multiplex: no intermission.
          Last edited by Steve Klare; August 08, 2024, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
            You would imagine they’d take the intermission and send the audience down to the snack bar since that’s where most of the revenue comes from anyway!

I saw it in the local multiplex: no intermission.
            Movie producers are highly skilled when it comes to shooting themselves in the foot.

Comment

Watched it at home on Blu-ray, so built in a pit stop when we felt like it. We felt involved by the film and the 3 hours just flew by.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post

Movie producers are highly skilled when it comes to shooting themselves in the foot.
                However profits from the snack bar don't go to the movie producers but the cinema showing the film THAT'S the reason cinema owners like them

Comment

I watched it on blu-ray and managed to sit right through it without a Intermission. In saying that having a Intermission at the cinema is a good idea with long films, even at home there has been at times watching the first half one night, second half the next night, depends how I feel at the time. At the cinema it gives people a break, plus and its a big plus more income for the cinema itself, when you look at the % the film companies charge, which for a big blockbuster that can be something around 70% or more for every seat sold. Cinemas need to make most of there income selling at the candy bar Art cinemas, well t could be at the bar, that kind of thing. When I did the screening schedule for the school holidays, it was important not to have more than one cinema starting at the same time, best to stagger the start times, to make sure folk wont be put of buying something due to a long queue. When we screened David Lean films, they all had Intermissions. Cinemas can do a Intermission if they want to, its still up to them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pict52.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.9 KB ID:	104250

Comment

Taking about cinema food we never sold pizza but did sell ice creams

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                      ...Cinemas can do a Intermission if they want to, its still up to them.
                      Unfortunately Cinemas are prohibited from creating their own intermissions:

In the days leading up to the Oct. 20 release of Martin Scorsese’s Killers of the Flower Moon, The Lyric cinema in Fort Collins, Colorado, fielded some unusual calls from customers. They all wanted to know if the Western crime epic, which runs three hours and 26 minutes, would have an intermission. And, if not, could one be added?

The art house cinema obliged and inserted an eight-minute break. It wasn’t long before a customer’s photo of an ad highlighting the intermission went viral and The Lyric received a call from Paramount, which is distributing the film, saying it had violated the booking contract and fines could be levied. “We didn’t know we had done anything wrong,” says Lyric manager Aaron Varnell, who recently added “chaos cultivator” to his title in a nod to challenging times.
                      Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ns-1235712330/

Comment

I really enjoyed Oppenheimer for the most part! I did have to leave the theatre at one point because I have a seizure disorder and parts of the movie in the loud theatre were triggering for me.

Comment

"The art house cinema obliged and inserted an eight-minute break. It wasn’t long before a customer’s photo of an ad highlighting the intermission went viral and The Lyric received a call from Paramount, which is distributing the film, saying it had violated the booking contract and fines could be levied. “We didn’t know we had done anything wrong,” says Lyric manager Aaron Varnell, who recently added “chaos cultivator” to his title in a nod to challenging times."

So what kind of clowns are running Paramount? The theater simply did what any good business did.... listened to and tried to please its customers.. and by doing so, probably created more customers and more revenue for Paramount. Did anyone refuse to see a lengthy movie because there was an intermission??? Many people feel relieved for an intermission to satisfy an hunger urge or use the restroom which makes for a more pleasant viewing experinece.

Comment

"So what kind of clowns are running Paramount?"

It's not just Paramount. Other distributors do the same. The lack of an intermission in Killers of the Flower Moon was apparently the decision of Martin Scorsese.

The controversy has even seen some theaters taking matters into their own hands, inserting an intermission into Killers of The Flower Moon without permission. This move has attracted the ire of the film’s studio since it violates the terms of the release contract. What’s more, Martin Scorsese’s longtime editor, Thelma Schoonmaker, has publicly condemned the forced intermissions, calling the act a “violation.” A Killers of The Flower Moon intermission would indeed be convenient, but since the filmmakers did not intend for there to be one, the structure cannot support it. Forcing an intermission into the film disrupts the simmering tension that Scorsese and Schoonmaker work tirelessly to create.
                            Source: https://screenrant.com/killers-the-f...d-controversy/

The studios/distributors don't care. They are after a quick buck from theatrical release before moving to streaming. Intermissions will return when the studios/distributors own the theaters, and take 100% of the ticket and concession sales.

Comment

The perils of digital projection? If it was on film they could always say there was a projector mechanical roblem or film break that had to be fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X