Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Fitting Tribute to a Wonderful French Film.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fitting Tribute to a Wonderful French Film.

Two years ago ex president François Hollande unveiled a statue on the corner place of the town square in Rochefort. Where fifty five years earlier the film les demoiselles de rochefort had been filmed.

The entire film was shot on location in this town during the summer of 1966. I think if you lived in the town back at this time, it must had been a bit bizarre, to have the likes of Catherine Deneuve, Jacques Perrin, George Chakiris and Gene Kelly hanging out in the bars and cafes. But hey, this is France, c'est la vie.

Some years back I visited the town just to see what has survived from the film, just for interest. And to my shock everything, it's all still standing and intact. All of the buildings and streets are as they were in the film, obviously the likes of the cafe have had a refurb since 1966, but it is still standing and in use today.

I have often thought that this film could have only been made in France. The moment you start to translate the title into another language, or change the towns name outside of France, it starts to sound like a title of a Michael Winner film. "The Young Girls of Skegness" doesn't have the same ring to it.

This film was the main influence for the making of the film La La Land 2016.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rochefort-ocean-rochefort-place-colbertjpeg.png
Views:	105
Size:	621.0 KB
ID:	105947

Steve,

That's wonderful. It's nicer to look at than the Rocky statue in Philadelphia. There's also a Metropolis robot Maria statue in Babelsberg​, Germany.

Name:	Maria.webp
Views:	37
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	106121

Comment

Hi Douglas,

I have seen the Rocky statue in Philadelphia, But I have always thought it would have looked better if they had placed it on the steps, it would have made more sence.

The town of Rochefort is a really beautiful picturesque place. I believe it was chosen because of the sunlight off of the atlantic, as all of the buildings are painted in pastel colours, and the two just go so well together.

Also in the town of Cherbourg during the summer, they suspend umbrellas over all of the main streets. So it actually becomes The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	106169

Comment

Steve,

Charming! In the seaside town of Youghal (County Cork, Ireland​) I came across a statue of Captain Ahab as portrayed by Gregory Peck. The 1954 film shot a number of scenes there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ahab Ireland - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	106173

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ahab Ireland - 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	106174

Comment

Working...
        X