CHC August weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHC August weekend

Today I saw this post from Denise on a Facebook group.

"Classic Home Cinema are pleased to report that our summer sale weekend event will go ahead from 7th August following easing of lock-down. Late bookings and enquiries by email and phone."

I called last week to renew my Film Collecting magazine subs and spoke to Phil who said it would be decided on last weekend, he mentioned that only 5 regular customers had registered to get a chance to buy early if they could not attend. He also said that several collections had been bought and would be available on the weekend as he was now able to get them now the lockdown conditions had been loosened enough.

I would like to know what distancing measures were in place in such a confined small shop where we are talking being just feet apart if that.
    Please be safe everyone.

Comment

Yes, I would imagine with Phil's underlying health problems he wouldn't want to take risks. As there are several rooms perhaps there will be a limit as to numbers in each and mandatory face coverings. I, at least, hope so.

Comment

Yes, the law dictates distancing measures we are open and comply fully. we expect relaxations shortly too.

Comment

It has happend Phil Camp sites open 4th July

It's sad to learn the organisers of the legendary Cleethorpes Scooter Rally had to cancel that weekend in August due to el Covid 19 risks. Probably wise as it was massive last time round with a packed town.

Phil can I ask a little question.
          Why give a select few who are not coming to the main event the benefit of pre buying in advance over those who may be booking time off work and costly accomodation to support your event? Seems a little odd and unfair perhaps.

God bless and keep safe
          Last edited by Lee Mannering; June 23, 2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Latest update on this :-
            "Well restrictions here have eased to help us at sale time on 7th August. We have more space - another room full of film and projectors (our cinema room) since last year, and a small marquee outside the back door for you to sit and chat in the fresh air, perhaps have a coffee etc, all within covid-19 safety outlines. Rest assured we will look after you, and you will have a great time. Booking for the meals on Friday and Saturday night are now being taken"
            And
            "a reminder tat our SALE starts on 7th August. Many people who have indicated that they are attending for the weekend (Norway etc) have not booked in yet. You MUST book now if you are coming and want the meals booking. Please dont be late !"

Comment

Hope your sale goes well for you Brian keep flying the flag and those face masks on.
              Last time I was in Cleethorpes the council had closed the central promenade to enable more distancing due to the covid conditions. Can you confirm it's now reopened I wonder?
              Take care

Comment

It will be my first time away from London since the lockdown started so I will be trying to balance enjoying myself with keeping safe. I'll check the promenade when I get there as I am staying on the front this time. With current technology and info from people in the industry I can tell what trains are on the line from Doncaster to Cleethorpes with a couple of mouse clicks, but not check if roads are open as easily.

You take care also, I hope to see you in Blackpool later in the year.

Comment

So did any of the forum members attend on Saturday? Or was this event cancelled?

Comment

Sorry I meant to report about this, but due to transport outages due to railway work I got back later than usual.

It was a good weekend though as expected the trip to the Kinema in the Wood on Sunday did not go ahead. There were many recently acquired features for sale (both magnetic and optical sound films), prices as far as I could tell were high to reflect what Phil had had to pay for them. He had a reserve and if you offered over that he sold, maybe we will find out when the unsold prints go on the lists. Many (especially optical) did sell but not to me as the ones I really liked that he had I already have. (The Sound of Music, Romancing the Stone, Hello Dolly). Masks were a necessity as it is a shop and there were limits to the numbers in the rooms, but a gazebo in the car parking area helped in the heat. The fish and chips evening meal was a success, but we had to have 2 tables instead of the usual one (at least being the "largest fish and chip shop in the world" there was plenty of space, it is the old Cleethorpes pier pavilion).

The usual Chinese takeaway meal was similarly socially distanced in Phil's garden (there was a quiz with a 200ft film as a prize for every correct answer but if you "Buzzed" but answered incorrectly you had to give one back, Adrian was in deficit at the start but won twice so ended up with a film) unfortunately the sea breeze had turned to a stronger wind so the outdoor screen was unsafe to use and we went to Phil's home cinema. I won't say what the film was but I did see Brer Fox again on the way back to my hotel. :-)

Only one Norwegian, Jan, made it this year, but Adrian Winchester, Bob and a few other familiar faces made it this year.

As usual I had a good time and came home with some very good short films and cut downs plus a 16mm one I had been after. the only trouble being, as I said with the trains, one that I was booked on was not running and I had to arrange a replacement reservation (due to covid no LNER travel without one) when changing trains at Grimsby (but it did get me an hour to drink in the beer garden of the pub opposite the station there. Hopefully things will be more normal next year. I have some photos but not downloaded then from the camera yet. Watch this space for them.

Comment

Thankfully, Brian has said much of what I might have said, although I'll make one correction as I ended up with three films in the fun quiz, despite getting a question wrong! The prizes were a nice surprise to some of us - e.g. one of mine was a mint 'Omen II' 200', in a mint box - a release I couldn't recall ever seeing before. I bought less films than usual, but that's OK and one was a nice Agfa 16mm print of the 1956 Woody Woodpecker cartoon 'Get Lost'. I may regret Jan beating me to a 16mm print of 'Carrie'. I also obtained an Eiki lens cloth, still sealed in the original bag, and a bottle of genuine blooping ink - something I've been looking for for many years!

Anyway, a very enjoyable weekend and sincere thanks to Phil and Denise for dealing with the challenges and being so hospitable. We even saw a rare screening of 'Song of the South'. I'll finally say that there's an exceptional selection of impressive-looking Super 8 projectors - some rare and unusual - currently on display in the shop, so if you need one and you're within reach, I'd suggest dropping in. One of the regulars went home with a GS1200.

Comment

As someone who only attended the sale on the Saturday morning, I can honestly say that Phil had probably the best set of titles available in his shop than ever before. That is the first time I have seen a copy of the 10x 600' Titanic (yes...Winslet and co.) for sale in the flesh so to speak. Sadly, even though my surname is England, I do not own the corresponding Bank, so it had to stay on the shelf for me.
                        Saying that, I also learned that there were far more titles available on the Friday that were snapped up, so this was a real one were you "had to be there!"

Moral of this story....... Get to Cleethorpes !

P.S. - Message to Shorty.. You may be interested to know I heard your name mentioned somewhere in the proceedings, so you were not forgotten!

Comment

Yes I think Adrian has something/s for Shorty from the sale. He was checking that he hadn't left it behind when we left.

Comment

The comradeship just gets better and better !

Comment

I know some one brought titanic .i guess he had to remorgage for it.and adrian as for carrie i saw it on the list £65 and said pink .but jan has shown me a picture and it was lpp nice colour a reel bargin .adrian we are both still looking for this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X