Going to the Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the Cinema

Well it takes a lot for me to go to the cinema these days, especially a wet and wintry night like it is at the moment, but to show a bit of support for the local multi-plex, that at present is struggling to get people back, I decided to go to on one of the many old movie screenings that they are running.

The one tonight was the original 1968 "Planet Of The Apes" this would be the first time at a "cinema" on a big screen I have watched this particular movie since I saw it on its original release and must say, that I really enjoyed the digital presentation of it. The masking was adjusted just right and the picture quality was excellent.

Due to a lack of new product coming from the US at the moment, they are running a lot of the old movies, which suits me just fine

Classic film Graham, they are showing a lot of older films via a drive in movie local to me(UK) which is great , the cinemas will be opening soon too, see how things go, Mark

Comment

Cinemas reopen today in Belgium. They reopened on 22nd June in France.

Comment

England's cinema chains are to gradually reopen from the 4th of July. I think the bigger London ones may be late July due to capacity at a guess.
        We have a brand new cinema being built here which should have opened April but with the Karaoke Virus thing work stopped but now back working. Hoping to film the projectors going in although they have a great deal to hand at the moment so may not get to hear.

When we go back to the cinema I'll be one of those who ask how many are in before buying a ticket.

Comment

Ours have been closed since mid-March. They will be allowed to re-open at the next stage of recovery with social distancing. (We just got indoor restaurant dining back with the same restriction.)

What's sad is we are down to one independent, family owned movie theater. It was announced that it will not be re-opening. It's a shame: I remember it wasn't rare for the owner to take a couple of minutes and talk to the people standing in line when we were waiting to get in.

Comment

We have a lovely 90-seater cinema here on Bute which is attached to the rear of the Discovery Centre (for tourists to the island) it has high quality seating and although a digital projection system now, was using some 35mm projectors up until 2013.

It shows contemporary films but also has 'seasons' of older films. Over the last Christmas and the early New Year it had a classic MGM musical season and I saw Meet Me In St Louis, Wizard of Oz, and Singing In The Rain. Although I have seen them all many a time on TV and have the latter two in my 8mm collection, it was the first time I had ever seen those films as they were intended to be viewed - in a decent size cinema, on a very big screen and with a full audience. It was such a great experience that I didn't really notice that it was digital projection!

Hopefully the cinema will open again soon - as I really miss it!

Ali.

Comment

UK wise
              Keswick Alhambra reopens on 24th July with loads of safeguards in place. Reel Cinema are opening in July as well and Odeon trying to reopen on 13th July.
              The old Regent in Blackpool reopened a couple of years ago we watched them trolley the projector in at the time :-) reopens 10th July showing older films Full Monty, Withnail & I etc and I'm hoping to twist his arm and take the Eumig 860 HID over for a cinema setting test.
              We are moving forward over here.

Comment

Steve

Sorry to hear about that family owned cinema not re-opening. In my book its the small business operation like that are the backbone of any economy.

Comment

That’s true, Graham.

What’s worse is in a lot more rural places than this, the Mom and Pop Cinema may be the only one and when they go under, there’s no other for people to attend.

Here it’s not that bad, yet it used to be a kid on his bike could reach at least three different single screen theaters in this neighborhood. Now it’s all multiplexes at driving distance.

Comment

This weekend is the start of the school holidays and this is the line up of movies our nearby multi-plex is running. I used to say when I worked at the cinema, that the school holidays and kids films was our bread and butter Its nice to see they have secured a few new ones. Note... "Ghostbusters" thrown in as well. They also ran "Titanic" 1997, a few weeks ago which I understand did well.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130597.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	12971

Comment

Most times I've visited my local multiplex in South London, I've been 'social distancing' even though this was long before the term was commonly used! Therefore, I won't hesitate to return when it reopens. A re-release of 'Back to the Future' has been delayed by the lockdown, but that's something I hope to see, as I've never seen it. I hope at least a few of the films that had their releases switched to online platforms get a theatrical release. because not everyone is interested in watching Netflix, etc. If you have a taste for unusual and difficult to define fantasy, I'd particularly recommend 'Vivarium', which was due a late March UK release. I saw it in the London Film Festival last year, and it's extraordinary.

Comment

Adrian

The good ole days of fighting over who gets the arm rest are thankfully gone

Comment

Well that's a shame the new Tom Hanks film "Greyhound" will only be seen through Apple TV and not at the cinema on the big screen. Although cinemas here like Reading are up and running, getting new product like this is critical for there future. I called in the other day and was surprised how quiet it was with only one staff member on the counter, something that I have never seen before during a school break. Even though there is at present no community transmission of the virus in NZ and its been like that for a while now. I do hope I am wrong, but I can see a number of cinemas not just here in NZ, but in other countries as well, of many going out of business.....tough times ahead.

Comment

The local cinema which closed in 2006 to become a bingo hall has re-opened as a four screen. I went down to join the queue of 20 (mainly competition ptize winners), just to have a look. The Irish owners have spent £3,000,000 and installed the latest laser projectors, but in a small place like Hucknall, and with the Coronavirus pandemic, I wonder how it will fare. I certainly won't be visiting anytime soon. My wife had Leukemia some thirty years ago and the risk to her is too great. With some studios seemingly anxious to release their product to all platforms on a same day basis and abandon the age old window, the future looks uncertain. There will always be an audience for film in Cinema, but whether it will be enough to sustain the costs of maintenance in smaller communities only time will tell. When I was young everyone went 'to the pictures' because it was a cheap night out. Four people could enjoy a three hour programme for 3 shillings (15p now). Wages were low but everyone could afford a Cinema visit. But now there are few places offering tickets under £8. The big chains often charge £12+ and with an expected massive increase in the jobless situation, an expense of that sort will become out of the question. Have the studios helped to kill a golden goose by depriving the exhibition side a decent income. Perhaps a matter for debate?

Comment

Last night I went and saw The Empire Strikes Back. So fun to see in the big screen again. Brand new theater. Pretty sure it was a digital projection of the 1997 SE or whatever updates ole Feorge Lucas made after 1997. But was still a blast.

Comment

Working...
                              X