Whats in a Name!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats in a Name!!

Yippee! I've been promoted from Newby to Film Handler.!! I found it a bit galling to be called a Newby when I have probably been into film collecting, home cinema and amateur film making longer than most of the other members have had birthdays!! However, I do understand that promotion depends on the number of posts and not ones experience and knowledge. In my teen age years I narrowly escaped being a projectionist. One of the most poorly paid positions in the film industry but one which required knowledge and skills in electronics, electrical a mechanical engineering. Ken Finch.

Congratulations!

Comment

Well I will sure take mine! Pro Film Handler

in high school they called me "MR FARTINI"
      ......... 👹

Comment

You'll always be young Ken matey and a top guy. A local chum of mine no longer with us spent most of his life including a 2nd world war also in the navy projecting film as a forces projectioinist. Poorly paid and life changing but what a wealth of knowledge as yourself.

Can we have beloved and missed 9.5mm film library back pleasey ?
        Happy days

Comment

My dad was a part
          time projectionist when in the air Force and I would spend countless hours with my dad in the projection booth. In other words, I was screwed for life
          ... Ha!

Comment

Hmmmm!

My Mom worked for Castle Films!

She never actually saw one until I showed her one, but I have just a hint of film in my blood!

Comment

I can claim to have assisted in 70mm changeovers on the Philips DP70 around 1968-9 and that would mean I was a projectionist at about 6 years old. Also 35mm. I can clearly remember pressing a red button when told by my father who was a chief projectionist for ABC in the UK at that time. The 70mm film was 2001: A Space Odyssey. Other films I helped with were Finian's Rainbow, Where Eagles Dare and Paint Your Wagon.

Comment

Great recollections guys, love reading them 😊

When I come back in the next life - I hope it is as some form of technician with real skills and know-how in a world that has gone back in time to say around the 1950's onwards 😉

Ali.

Comment

Sorry Lee, the film library is a no,no. I never had sufficient donations of films and had to include films from my own collection and purchase prints to make that project viable and never had sufficient hirers to get my money back.!! Most people preferred to purchase the films themselves rather than pay the hire fee and postage costs. Consequently, I now have a very large collection of mainly silent prints. The few who loaned films to the library had their films returned to them and some have been returned to Group 9.5. I sell off the ones I no longer wish to keep at Pimlico or Harpenden. Ken Finch.

Comment

Working...
                  X