Favourite Opening Scene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Opening Scene?

Hi I was just watching Stan and Ollie from 2018 ( Coogan and Riley etc ) so after lots of weeping etc at the end segment of the film I went for a quick fix of the first part of Predator to put me right again.

What, a, flippin opener, then followed by opener 2 in the Helicopter and coming down in the the Jungle, so its like a double opener really.

Just wondered what other people`s favoruite opener`s were that really gets you away with the whole feel of the film.

Best Mark.

Citizen Kane

...and the best closing

Comment

The Italian job, 1969 , never tires watching it, Mark

Comment

Jaws

Comment

Steven Spielberg's "Duel"

Comment

Cool topic! Off the top of my head ... I pick two westerns. Once Upon A Time In The West, and My Name is Nobody.

Comment

Probably my favorite, before I think of any more, starts with panoramic shots over the Austrian countryside that ultimately, as the music reaches a crescendo, swoop into that tiny figure walking up the hill that becomes Julie Andrews ! Cinematic magic !

Comment

Few good ones there.

I suppose Mr Bond must have a few of note as well.

I`ve always loved The start of the Eagle Has landed on the war films front.

Comment

The Shining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9spGH0YMkj8

Comment

Well I suppose someone has to say it. The first thing that came to mind was the opening shots of the original Star Wars with the massive space ship passing overhead. Even the "Special Edition" changes couldn't spoil that.

Comment

Brian - I must say that in my opinion that does not come anywhere close to the................opening titles and credits fade to black........on cue with a blast of a note from John Williams....... screen bursts into brilliant white, to find we are in a sandstorm in the Gobi desert.

In 1977 you were either a Star Wars fan...... or Close Encounters !

(this is in addition to.....but does not replace.... my previous remarks on this topic).

Comment

The B/W montage at the opening of RAISE THE TITANIC

Comment

Although I'm fond of the opening sequence in Beast of Blood, the beginning of West Side Story, starting with high overhead shots of New York and slowly getting closer till we find the Jets in the schoolyard is one of the best.

Comment

I've always liked the beginning of "Hatari." Henry Mancini's slow quiet drum music behind shots of the African plane that crescendos up to the exciting John Wayne rhinoceros chase scene opening.

Comment

For me it would be the opening credit sequence to SOMETHING WILD (1961), with a great score from Aaron Copland and a stunning title montage from Saul Bass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDdC2hokuyA

Comment

Working...
                              X