Musicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musicals

The other night I was thinking what's left to watch, so I picked out ""Oliver", its been years since I last watched it, so sat back with a glass of wine on hand and really enjoyed it, the movie I mean, but the wine also helped

It was the first time I had projected this movie using the little Epson VP, and the picture quality along the the soundtrack was excellent.

Anyway the next day "yesterday" my son who is now in his 30s after just after Connor junior rugby game turned up. I asked him, guess what I watched last night no answer, so I hum "Who Will Buy", not very well I should add. After a few moments, and to my surprise he said "Oliver" not only that he described the scene

Well I thought, you must have learned something growing up ha ha. I later wanted to find out if my long ago influence had effected my daughter also, so I phoned her up, can you guess this...hum.... that's "Oliver Twist" she says.....no...try again.... "Oliver" she says, then we went on some other film stuff

They are both in there 30s but still remember those old movies they watched when they were children. Funny thing, when we visited Scotland way back in 1992, we were crossing a small bridge in a nearby gardens. It was raining as it sometimes does in Scotland when both April and Steven armed with there little umbrellas, started spinning them singing "Singing In The Rain", I don't no what the locals would have thought, but it was funny to watch.

Anyway back to "Oliver" and what a cast. I have always thought, in particular Jack Wild as the artful Dodger was a stand out performance.

I did take one screen shot, which I think is one of the best, showing Ron Moody, Jack Wild and Oliver Reed looking through the flowers

PS. I did watch "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" last night using the Epson, but more of that later

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150048.JPG Views:	0 Size:	124.4 KB ID:	16730
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150050.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.9 KB ID:	16731
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150051.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	16732

Comment

Great story (I mean your’s) and wonderful film. I only have it on DVD, but this has prompted me to get the blu-ray version... just found one in TradeMe and promptly purchased it, looking forward to screening it 😀
      Last edited by Xander van der Merwe; September 12, 2020, 02:51 PM. Reason: Updated

Comment

Thanks Xander

Its certainly one for the blu-ray collection. I cant help but feel that its going to get hard to find certain titles on blu-ray, best to grab it while you can.

Comment

Very smartly directed by Carol Reed, Oliver! doesn't concentrate too much on...Oliver. The other characters are much more interesting, especially the Artful Dodger. Shani Wallis is great as Nancy.

Comment

Well 1968 was a great year for musicals that's for sure, here are a few screen shots of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" the most well known car of all time

Dick Van Dyke was in his element during those times, including another most popular film of the 1960s "Mary Poppins",

I must admit its great to get away from all the serious stuff that is going on in the world at the moment, and slip back to a time when going to the movies was just plain fun.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is certainly a fun film to watch. If you have not watched it in a while, get the blu-ray, put your feet up, and simply sit back and enjoy

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150063.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.3 KB ID:	16839
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150085.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.2 KB ID:	16840
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150114.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	16841
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150145.JPG Views:	0 Size:	144.6 KB ID:	16842
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150154.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.4 KB ID:	16843
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150171.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	16844
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150184.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	16845
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150192.JPG Views:	0 Size:	157.4 KB ID:	16846

Comment

Ah! Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: pretty much James Bond for kids! Ian Fleming wrote the novel, it's got a gadget laden car and the Villain is Gert Fröbe!

I read the novel when I was grade school age, but I didn't see the movie until my son came along. Even then, I heard it five times for every time I saw it. In 2002 we bought a minivan with a VHS video system and my son basically looped it in the back seat. I was driving, so to me it was pretty much a radio program! (We used to catch ourselves listening to it even when he wasn't back there, and then do the sane thing by turning it off!)

-Haven't seen it since we got the second minivan (It had DVD...).

You've inspired me, Graham! I'm going to get the disk before he comes home from college.

Comment

Another great film... I think it is on Disney+ actually... I have an Nvidia Shield Pro TV that is also connected to the Epson projector and the HD picture quality from the likes of a Disney+ and the other streaming services on the big screen is superb.

just received my Oliver on Bluray this afternoon so planning a screening later this week or over the weekend 😀📽

Comment

Oliver is an absolute classic and always will be. The casting was superb. Ron Moody, Oliver Reed, Shane Wallis, Jack Wild were perfect and the music score and choreography unforgettable.
                  As for Mary Poppins - another great, spoilt by the casting of Dick Van Dyke. Absolute rubbish casted as a Cockney. His attempt at a Cockney accent was a joke. 'They should have cast Tommy Steele in that role. He would have been perfect. Virtually a true Cockney and he could sing and dance.
                  Last edited by Terry Sills; September 15, 2020, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I personally didn't like the 60's musicals, but I was really fond of the early 70'susicals, such as Fiddler on the roof and Paint Your Wagon.

Comment

For lovers of "Oliver!" in the UK, it's being screened next Sunday the 20th September, 3pm to 6.05pm.
                      Followed by "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" until 9pm.
                      It's on 5 Star, Freeview channel 30.
                      Also on three other channels including Sky 128.

Maurice

Comment

Nice Graham, my wife loves it. Anyone else remember watching the original making of it on TV in the late 60's? Fascinating!

Comment

I remember seeing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as a kid in the theater. After Lionel Jeffries has been abducted, our heroes are chasing after the airship and Chitty goes off the cliff, plummeting towards the sea and the rocks below....Then an intermission title pops up!

Comment

That's right Doug, then after the intermission they repeat that scene of the going over the cliff again. .

One of the special features is the Sing-Along of the songs only, well I tried that, and believe me its really hard to do The "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" one. The speed of the song and the on screen lyrics is really fast, I could not keep up without getting tongue tied.

That particular sing along, would be a good one for your get together Doug, with a prize for the one that can manage to get to the end.

I did pick up an old second hand soundtrack LP a couple of years ago from a store in town, last night I did listen to it, and the quality of the recording was really good

Anyway I think it would be fare to say that the Universal popularity of the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car has also been timeless.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150212.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.7 KB ID:	16935
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150209.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	16936
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150202.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.3 KB ID:	16937
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150205.JPG Views:	0 Size:	165.6 KB ID:	16938
                            At the moment there is a really good deal on the blu-ray musical box set for only $20 dollars
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150206.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	16939
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150207.JPG Views:	0 Size:	144.2 KB ID:	16940

Anyway back to the car and a photo of the cast reunion

Click image for larger version  Name:	3984bec281749506c84a4cde74914d79.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.7 KB ID:	16941

Comment

Graham, where can one get that $20 special? I’ve looked on TM and Amazon and it is a lot more... thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X