Project to document Cinema Projection in Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project to document Cinema Projection in Britain

I think most members will find plenty of interesting material in this University of Warwick project, exploring the history of cinema projection in Britain: https://cinemaprojectionist.co.uk/?m...eid=397d8f3371

Very interesting, Adrian.
    I entered the cinema industry in 1952 aged 17 as a trainee projectionist. For Sunday showing we were still running nitrate prints which arrived in 1000ft cans but the Chief insisted that they be made into 2000ft lengths to save changeovers every eight or nine minutes.
    One of our projectionists was a lady!
    I spent 50 years as a projectionist, finally using single projectors with platters.

Maurice

Comment

Agreed,good stuff.
      When I was 15,I got to know the projectionist at my local flea pit(it really was!) This was 1968,and he let me run the show for him on a Sunday,when the films were ancient and the prints often poor condition.He was happy to have time off,and leave me to it.
      We ran with two simplex projectors with 2000ft reels,carbon arcs and 20 minute change overs. I loved it,and spent lots of my mis spent youth there.When starting the incoming machine,you had to give the take up reel a push,otherwise it would snatch and break the film.There was an art in doing this,and I was so proud that I got the hang of this without any messed up change overs.

Comment

Working...
      X