The Remastered Album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Remastered Album

I have recently invested some hard earned cash on some remastered popular albums on both vinyl and Cd.

Is it just me, or is there actually any difference between this and the original release? They both sound the same, even using headphones. What has supposed to have taken place? I realise they are not remixes of the original albums...... Just listen to the Beatles Sgt.Pepper to check the difference..... but surely I am investing my money in not just the extra disc of home demos's etc, but something slightly different in the main work?

I think music purists would complain if things were changed. I believe they even go for the sound as it would be on the equipment used to play it orignially, not make it more "accurate" in some cases. Perhaps they should add another disc to sets to give the sort of change you expect.

Comment

I'd certainly complain if the music was altered. In nearly every case, even when the original artist remakes they're own hits, they just don't have that sound that made them famous, (listen to "addicted to Love" as an example), but in some cases, remastering from the original master tapes really pays off, as in the remasters of the Simon and Garfunkel catalogue. Without the many generations of tape hiss, they sound incredible!

Comment

Remastered would suggest improved sound quality ,but I think it mostly marketing hype. A few of my remastered albums sound better than the originals,but mostly they dont,and often sound worse.

Comment

Brian - I half agree with you on your "purist" comment. Albums should be always available in their original mix condition. But, oh my goodness, the example I used regarding new remixes, the Beatles Sgt.Pepper as a perfect example, has left me speechless. Absolutely amazing..... and that is also coming from a Beatles "purist." It is extremely important that the original stereo mix of this classic album is always to be kept available. After all, it was the psychedelic stereo with voices jumping from left to right, and wandering over the stereo spectrum, that helped sell it. However, the new remix makes it sound as if it was recorded yesterday.....clear as a whistle.... and the psychedelic effects have been moderated to appear from specific points on the stereo spectrum. A sort of "modern" stereo if you wish.

Osi - I agree. Dislike remakes intensely. They did a great clean up job with S&G.

David - Sadly, I have to agree with you. Remasters can leave a lot to be desired in my opinion, too.

Comment

Unfortunately when I bought Sgt Pepper in the 1960's, I only had a mono record player so bought the mono version. It was many years before I heard it in stereo.

Comment

.........and even the mono version was a different mix to the stereo version, instead of just being a mono version of the stereo mix.......if you see what I mean? There are noticeable differences between the 1967 mono and stereo versions.

Comment

Brian, isnt it the original mono version thats most sort after? Could be worth a bit if in good condition.

Comment

Working...
                X