The Falkirk Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Falkirk Wheel

Click image for larger version  Name:	Falkirk Wheel.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.1 KB ID:	19172

​OK: Granted, it's a little slow around here these days, but this is the most astounding thing I've seen in a long time! This spectacular looking structure is not a background for some Star Trek sequel: this is a real thing, right now. It's also more than just a structure, it's a machine, with a real, practical job.

What this thing does (and quite well), is provide a new connection between two Scottish canals which are at radically different levels. It does this by having two huge troughs of water riding in self leveling mounts, and the whole thing swiveling so that when one trough is up, the other is down. By virtue of the fact that when a boat enters a body of water, it displaces as much weight in water as it weighs, the two troughs stay perfectly balanced no matter what's in them, and the power required to do this spectacular deed is very low.

It goes without saying this was much easier and cheaper than building a new system of locks to do the same job. The joy of it for me is how commonsense it is: I look at it and say "Now why didn't I think of that!".
    b

b
    So, even after all these centuries, maybe there really can be something new under the sun!

Last edited by Steve Klare; October 20, 2020, 09:16 PM.

Steve correct me if I am wrong, but if I remember right the locks in the Panama Canal operate, eg as one ship goes in one the weight of the ship and body of water its sitting in, is used to lift the ship in another lock, similar method ship goes in one to go down, and the ship in another goes up....I think that's how it all works, its basic stuff but it works

Comment

I have travelled in a boat from the lower section, and then along the higher canal for a few minutes, Then back down the wheel to where I had started.
      Absolutely fascinating.

Maurice

Comment

Hi Graham,

I'd imagine a set of canal locks would just use water's normal tendency to run downhill. You'd bring the ship inside, close the gates, open valves to the other level to either raise or lower the water and then open the other set of gates when the surfaces are level.

The double locks in the Panama Canal are likely because it carries so much traffic.

Maurice,

I'd imagine that first couple of seconds at the top when your canal boat slips sideways into the sky could be a little unsettling!

Comment

The great thing engineering wise with canals is that ALL parts are not overloaded with increased traffic, only if the water level goes up does the pressure on the ground or other structures increase. Even then it is spread out not a local stress.

Comment

Working...
          X