Moving To New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving To New Zealand

This made me ...she is spot on. It has changed a lot to what it was like when I came here back in 1973, then everything except the local dairy and cinemas was very much closed in the weekends, people were in those days, had the weekend off, to play sports or enjoy the great outdoors. One highlight was the yummy Sunday bread you could buy from the dairy

The first weekend I arrived here I walked down the main street everything was shut and nobody was around, you could imagine tumbleweed blowing down the street, things now are open seven days a week

Anyway enjoy this video from a American family living here....

Interesting video Graham. Those 5 things are all reasons I would move for. I also envy the low population density,given that here in the UK,we are around 70 million,and you cant do anything without traffic jams.

Comment

Thanks David.

Since coming here in 1973 it really has been great. The opportunities out here, were certainly a lot more, than what was I was doing in Scotland. The down side though, is the fact you do miss family, however that goes for any immigrant going to any country.

New Zealand is not perfect, and does have its problems similar to other countries, but I don't think its anywhere to the same degree. When I was thinking of leaving the UK, I had three choices, Canada, Australia, or NZ. I picked NZ and never had any regrets. With NZ you do have to be a jack of all trades, and give anything a go, where folk mainly from England come unstuck, is when they arrive here, they tend to expect to do the same job as they did in the UK. The bottom line is, if you are prepared to give anything a go you will get on just fine. One thing I notice from some arriving here, is when they say to New Zealanders, that back home "meaning England" we did this or we did that....a big mistake. I always believe in the old saying..."when in Rome do what the Romans do" if so its a great place to be.

Comment

I guess that around the time that Graham immigrated to NZ I decided to immigrate to the USA, a decision I have never regretted. Just like Graham I feel that I have had opportunities and experiences in the USA that I would not have had in the UK. But, don't think that I am knocking the UK - not at all. The UK gave me a great university education - at no cost, and to this day a part of me still yearns for the incredible beauty and civilized life style of that country. I love visiting the UK whenever I can and am proud to have been born there.

When I first came to the USA I vowed not to compare the two countries in casual conversation, and not be critical of the the US in any way. Feeling that I was a guest in the host country, that just seemed ill mannered to me. One thing I really admire about the US is how hard people work and how dedicated they are to reach their own particular dream with their own effort. It's no wonder that to this day no one but an American has set foot on the moon.
        Both countries have their own pro's and con's, and one thing for sure no country anywhere is perfect.

Comment

The one thing that I really have enjoyed in NZ Paul is the outdoor lifestyle. When I first came here, I boarded with a family, who during that first summer, invited me to tag along with them to a batch they had, and do a bit of river fishing. I did catch a salmon, but it got away, however, that was my first introduction to what NZ had to offer. Although you could fish in Scotland, most of the rivers are privately owned, and you have to have money do do this. Where as here, buying a fishing license from any sports shop will give you access to all rivers and lakes.

The thing that stands out, is being able to do things here, that were not possible in Scotland, as the wages were nothing more than a week to week thing......lifestyle/ money wise you were really going nowhere.

Now that I am retired ,the thing you need most, as age does creep up with all of us, is a old age pension, and that everyone over 65 years old can get here, providing, that you have been a NZ citizen for at least 10 years. Another huge plus is free public health care, similar to the NHS in the UK where everyone has access to, and I must say having to use it over the last two years its very good.

Funny thing through a Facebook page, and after commenting about a garage I once worked at as a mechanic in Paisley, way way back in 1971-73, a apprentice I worked with replied to that Facebook comment, saying he remembered me, and wondered how I got on in NZ, and made the comment, "quote" that "I was one of the good guys"....amazing to remember that, after all those years, it shows though, that people don't forget.

So there you have it Paul, is saying all that, I must dust of the old fishing rod, as I still have it.

Comment

Hi Graham,

Had you been to New Zealand before your move?

I often imagine my grandfather arriving here 98 years ago: alone, 19 years old, basically with nothing but the clothes on his back, didn't speak English.

-had to require a lot of courage!

Comment

The one thing that I really have enjoyed in NZ Paul is the outdoor lifestyle
              I had exactly the same reaction when I arrived in central Pennsylvania after a long flight and train ride from the UK. What first struck me about Pa was the space, the great outdoors, mountains and streams, and trees everywhere. Everything seemed so spacious after the tightly knit places I had lived in the UK. The roads were much wider, the houses much bigger, and there were much less people. After I started work, I was introduced to the joy's of trout fishing in the streams of the Lycoming creek and the Loyalsock creek, as well as bass fishing in the Susquehanna river. I loved it, even though I had never seen a fishing pole before. Well I soon became an avid fisherman, out every Saturday morning before dawn to catch the elusive rainbow and brook trout in the area, coming back with the catch of the day and preparing them for a delicious trout dinner that evening. Of course Florida has fishing too, but I have never taken to it down here, the water is brackish and hides all kinds of predators such as gators and water mocassins. No, give me the sound of Pennsylvania's clear running brooks any day!
              So getting back to Graham's point, immigration to another country opens up a wealth of new experiences and opportunities for personal growth. I am very grateful to the USA and its people, who have been nothing but kind and welcoming ever since I first set foot here.

Comment

Hi Steve and Paul

I had never been to New Zealand before, all the information I could find was from the local library, which was way out of date, so I really new very little about the place. My brother had spent many years working as a first radio officer for the New Zealand shipping company, doing the UK, Australia, NZ, run. I never really saw much of him, as he was at sea most of the time I was growing up in Glasgow, but I think that's where I first started to get the idea when I young to travel and see other places.

I do remember when arriving, putting my hand in my pocket and pulling out my last 10 dollars and thinking to myself......well you better make a go of it.

Comment

Well folks this one made me smile when she talked about tea. How true I thought, anyway not sure how you do things where "you" live but tea breaks are a must here

One other thing is holidays, I used to get six weeks a year in aviation , one day I turned up for work, worked for a while that morning, then the boss called me to the office. He looked at me and said, what are you doing here, pointing to the holiday chart. Yikes I made the mistake of going to work, when I should be on holiday, well I was not hanging around after that, got out of the place as fast as I could that was the only time I have ever made that terrible mistake

Anyway back to tea breaks, we always had a paid 10 minute one in the morning, and a 10 minute one in the afternoon with half an hour for lunch. Every two hours you were entitled to a paid tea break.

One thing though that was different to Scotland, was that in Scotland it was breakfast, dinner, then tea. Out here its breakfast, lunch and then dinner. It can be very confusing, I think that's the same in England lunch and dinner, in Scotland dinner and tea ...such is life

Comment

I think you may have missed out the Scottish "Fish Supper" (fish & chips) there Graham.

Comment

My DNA shows I was 'made in the UK' but my familial predecessors actually came to NZ in 1841.Think I've been here to long?

Comment

same with me Trev 1/2 UK 1/2 Irish!

Comment

Brian

Its been a long time since I heard the term fish supper

Just a little bit of advice for folks coming to NZ, based on my 40 plus years of living here. Is that in a job interview, you will be asked about hobbies and pastimes away from work. This is important to have something, not work related to talk about, otherwise they will think you are a boring person and unlikely to get the job. If you are into outdoor stuff like fishing, climbing mountains, deep sea diving, that kind of thing, then you are on a winner in the job interview.

Now, if you really want the job, then study up on the history of there rugby team the "All Blacks" this is a must, say lots of nice things about the All Blacks, in the interview even if you don't mean it, but don't go overboard, keep it simple eg say....they are the best in the world.....something modest like that.

Another thing if you do get the job, be careful you don't get set up with your work mates. An example that happened to me in the airline, was I went to an important hanger meeting, that included all the staff. The guy on the door was checking everyone arriving. I sat down near the front and thinking, that I might just have my lunch banana. As I peeled it, the banana completely fell apart The thing was there were folk laughing behind me. The person taking the meeting looked at me as if to say...what the beep...I looked at him and thought....mmmmm that's strange.

Well, what I found out later was the person on the door had also been telling everyone..."watch Haggis banana"...what "he" had done, is to put a fabric pin through the skin, wiggle it around and do this in different parts of the banana, so when you peel it, the hole thing just falls apart

Anyway, back to rugby, New Zealanders are very polite about rubbing you nose into your team defeat like Ireland, Scotland, England, South Africa etc etc like this one with the poor Irish went through a few years ago....note the ball boys coach to them about cleaning the ball...... that's sneeky eh!

Comment

You know, when I worked at the cinema for 10 years, the young kids that worked there talked very much just like this, full of energy and life, they really kept me on my toes. Although this is a energy fun comparison between Australia and New Zealand I really like the way this young lady presents it.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X