No announcement yet.

eBay buyer claims lens has fungus!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shane, do you have the serial number of the camera you sold him? There must be a way of proving he has swapped cameras if he returns the one with the fungus.
    There is no way his photos are the same camera.

Comment

Originally posted by David Roberts View Post
      Shane, do you have the serial number of the camera you sold him? There must be a way of proving he has swapped cameras if he returns the one with the fungus. There is no way his photos are the same camera.
      I agree with David.
      For those who do not know this camera here are its details. Quite nice. Only needs two AA batteries.

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Canon_514_XL

Comment

Hey Guys! His user name on eBay is bigdig2000 and goes by Mr. Nelson. Also his address didn't even include this name it originally said The N. I found the Mr. Nelson from the Paypal receipt and used that for the P.O box address for shipping.
        David I do not have the serial number for the camera. It's something I never thought to do honestly.
        So far I haven't responded back concerning the photos he sent. I can say this when I sent the camera it had a brand new rubber sun shade. I don't see that in the photo nor was the lens area dirty like in his photos. I thoroughly cleaned the lens and lens barrel outer surfaces. His photos just don't make sense. I would have clearly seen fungus like this, and would have put that in the description.

Comment

It's not the same lens! Look at the dust and dirt on the lens edging of his camera, then compare with Shames original lens photo. I teach Photoshop to university students and would 100% say it's NOT the same lens. To reiterate, look at the dust, dirt, grit around the lens and hood rings. Buff said, he's scamming you. Happy to support your argument with EBay with written observations.

Comment

Just a couple of observations here concerning using ebay. No help to Shane now but may be useful for forum members who use ebay. Firstly, you can set postage exceptions when listing an item and this can include PO box numbers (something I would never ship to).

Secondly, as well as looking at a buyers feedback rating, take a look at the feedback they have left for others. Sellers can't leave negative feedback so a quick look at the buyers 100% makes you think everything is fine.

If I get a bidder on an item, I immediately check feedback left for others and if I'm not happy, I cancel their bid and block them. If it had been a buy it now, I would have cancelled and taken a feedback hit rather than face the trouble later.

Take a look at Shane's buyers feedback. Click on 'left for others' and take a deep breath!

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/bigdig2000

Comment

Oh my goodness....

Enough said!

A.H. if ever there was one.

Massive ammunition to Shane's cause. Go for it, Shane, call this S.O.B's bluff !

Comment

Agree with Melvin.

Maurice

Comment

Thanks everyone for the massive amount of help I am receiving here! This forum is so awesome and supportive!
                  Mark thanks for offering your services. I'll reach out to you if things get ugly! I agree his photos show a lot of dirt, grime, and other artifacts that were not present on my camera or lens.
                  I spent some time reading eBay's policies and how they may help in this situation. It looks like if I decide to get them involved they could side with the buyer. It seems it most cases they do just that. It also warns that once they are involved, their final decision is pretty much set in stone. So I am cautious about reaching out. I'm not sure how I will proceed. I haven't responded to his last message with photos. I suppose that may need to be done.

Comment

Thanks so much for the warning regarding this buyer...he is so blocked now.

As you say a response of some sort is needed. For what it is worth, I suspect they are different lens. But thinking ahead in terms of winning a case (and perhaps getting a neg removal too), it might be an idea to thank him for sending the pictures, but ask again if he would not mind sending a picture of the lens again, closer to the angle. and crop of your original picture of it (on the basis that you are genuinely baffled as your picture does no show fungus).

If such a request is put politely, and is declined, you are in a better position with ebay, as the buyer will have been shown unwilling to supply adequate evidence to support their assertion, and without this you can reasonably say you cannot be sure they are from the same lens (and ebay will look at the email exchanges through their system if the buyer does open a case...which they may not anyway if they have claimed more than normal in the past...ebay does not like that). It will not look good if the buyer cannot meet that simple request.

Ofcourse, if the buyer does provide the picture, then you may have clearer evidence that either the lens is without fungus, or it is from another camera.

Just my thoughts. Whatever you choose to do, I hope all goes well.

Comment

Picture buyer sent you looks like its seen some water ingress to my filming eyes Shane.
                      Noting and photographing the serial no is a good thing to do against a dated newspaper.
                      Such a shame we have to go to such lengths today.

If the buyer isn't already aware I would be posting that you have retained photos of the item sent. Really hope all works out.

Comment

I like Ozzie's ideas. Speaking nicely can go along way, especially if ebay analyzes your responses.
                        It is a reasonable request and will reduce any further doubt.

Comment

Well after responding back asking for a better photo, he filed a claim. So at this point there's no way out. I told him the camera gets shipped at his cost. After I receive it I'll inspect camera, and if all checks out, I'll issue a refund. So there you have it!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	canon514_lens.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	21251Using Photoshop I overplayed Shanes original image with the buyers poorly taken image. Using warp effect I have attempted to align both images conforming to the cameras lens. It is clear that the image from the buyer is NOT Shanes camera. Again I draw your attention to the cleanliness of Shanes camera and the mass of dirt and grit within the lens mouldings . If you look at both images they were taken nearly at the same angle, with same amount of light entering the lens as dictated by the blue lens flare as seen on both images. Don't let the buyer get away with this blatant fraud, and don't let eBay side with the buyer, if they do then they are complicit with fraud. Stay safe

Comment

Comparison of dirt on buyers lens, and Shanes clean lens. Substantial proof methinks!!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mark for your incredible editing of these two photos! The process of return has already started. Because he used eBay for the return I have to pay for shipping. I had to send him a label via eBay's policies. Luckily they make that process easy. Also because he claims the camera was not as advertised he's entitled to a full refund per eBay's policy. So once I get the camera back I'll inspect it and go from there. I'm 100% sure I didn't see any fungus in the lens. If in fact there is then that's on me but I really think he's pulling a fast one.

Comment

Working...
                                X