Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Lennon

Something for you to think about.....

At approximately 10pm on December 8th 2020 New York time, or 3am December 9th 2020 London time, John Lennon will have been dead for EXACTLY the same amount of time that he was EVER alive.

So, think about it...... You remember what you were doing on that tragic December day in 1980 when you heard the news. Well, the gap between then and whatever you are doing on 8th/9th December............ was his entire life.

I still miss him so so much.

Yes Melvin , although you are a week early , I was on my way to work when the news flashed across my car radio !
    I was so shocked I had to pull off the road and listen to the news report .
    Who would want to kill John Lennon ?
    It was terrible and showed me we are now living in a different time .

Continue to R.I.P. John Lennon

Comment

I was a college freshman: a lazy college freshman. College didn't collect Physics lab reports every week like high school did, just insisted they all be in on December 9th. I wrote basically every one up that week and that night was crunch time!

We got the news in our dorm around 11PM. I was maybe 60 miles away so it was still local news. I was a Beatles fan, so I had to take a little time to talk about it, but an "F" was in my future if I didn't get every last report in! I pressed on: midnight, 1AM, 2AM, 3AM....My 18 year old brain, became 40 years old, 70 years old, and gradually reverted to three, two...I'm sure by 5AM the laws of Physics were taking a beating: graphs looked like they were done in Crayon! It really didn't matter: it was just for a checkmark in the professor's notebook.

Maybe 9AM I staggered over to the Physics building and dumped off the pile: I had made it! I went back to the dorm and fell into bed roughly 10AM: the latest I ever went to bed.

I like to think I grew up a little that night! I had time to do a lot of dumb things in the years yet to come, but at least I never did that again!

Comment

This just in ... John Lennon has stolen the monolith in Romania! Ha Ha Hah! Koo Koo Ka Joob! On a serious note, sadly, with the passing of Lennon, the hope for a reunion was gone, and that was rather sad. One of my birthday presents for my tenth birthday? A reissue of " Meet the Beatles" and I have been a Beatle-maniac ever since!
        Last edited by Osi Osgood; December 01, 2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Yes a very sad event. Has Mark Chapman ever given a reason for doing what he did?

Comment

I seem to remember him saying that it was just to get famous, but it was so long ago it may have been someone else's theory of why he did it.

Comment

Went to my room, locked the door and played the White Album...twice...angry that someone stole away the chance of a reunion...happy that his work continues....still get misty-eyed...Cheers, Shorty

Comment

Terry and Brian - I think there were two reasons behind his motive. The first one was that he was mentally unbalanced to start with. The second was that he had been reading J.D.Salinger's classic story "Catcher in The Rye" about Holden Caulfield and his cynical approach to life and the phoneyness of the people in it. When he was arrested at the Dakota he was carrying a copy of the book.
                He was originally a Beatles / John Lennon fan, but after reading the book, he somehow in his head made some sort of a connection between John Lennon and being phoney and came to the conclusion that Lennon was just a phoney. This is where he started getting voices in his head telling him to kill Lennon. The voices became so strong that he decided that was what he would do....... and the rest is, very sadly, history. Apart from the fact that, yes, Mark knew he would gain some notoriety as the man that killed Lennon.

Every few years he becomes eligible to be presented in front of a parole board with the idea of possibly being released. The board routinely contact the family members of the victim to see whether they think parole should take place. On every occasion, Yoko Ono has said "No."

Parole denied.

Comment

Well, the sad day has arrived.

Even after all these years, I still mourn the passing of this legend.

"But I'm not the only one...."

Comment

Working...
                  X