The 8mm Forum - Our New Site's One Year Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 8mm Forum - Our New Site's One Year Anniversary

On December 1, 2019 the switch was thrown and the new 8mm Forum went online after 16 years at our previous URL. New software, new servers, new site. I took a crash course (never a good term to use with a website) in learning the new Forum software and it showed. I'm still figuring things out....

Thanks to all the Forum members who packed their GOF (Grand Old Forum) bags with their knowledge, their insights, their good humor and made the move along with Brad and myself, helping us to find our footing. Thanks to all our newer members who found this site directly and made us an even more interesting and diverse place. Thanks to Adam M., who does so much work behind the scenes. Thanks (of course) to Brad for this site and for his continuing support and interest in our favorite small gauge film formats.

To me, this Forum will always be a work in progress and I'm thrilled to be a part of it.

Doug

It has been a great year!

We had some rough times both before and after the changeover, but it's well worth it. We have new capabilities here that we are still exploring.

What's funny is how quickly you grow used to having these things: they go from luxuries to must-haves very quickly! I never minded the 550 Pixel limit back when that was the law of the land, but now those pictures look tiny!

I'm also grateful that a way was found to save the GOF: all that content is a treasure trove of ideas and events and good people who are no longer with us, yet deserve to be remembered. To lose it would have been a great loss.

Comment

Comment

It's been a good year for some.
        But the forum has been a great support for both of us and we send out love and thanks for being there.
        A shout out to team 8mm and especially the moderators
        God bless us all every one and have a peaceful and healthy Christmas projecting and shooting film.

This forum is a blessing and thank you for all the creative interesting posts. On this new 8mm forum the knowledge continues. Oh and keep an eye for thos new 8mm releases coming your way

Comment

THANK YOU to the ENTIRE STAFF and CONTRIBUTORS ( members ) who have supported this hobby and website !
          I know there are a lot of people " behind the scenes " that make this a success and it's HATS-OFF to them as well !

Comment

Wow, a year gone by already! Can't say anything better than what has already been said. What a great forum this is, a great moderator, and great articulate members keeps this the go to place for collectors worldwide. Well done Brad, Doug et al !

Comment

Happy Aniversary! So glad to be a part of this great forum. I appreciate all the hard work that went into transitioning to the new software. Thank you Doug and Brad!

Comment

Congratulations to Doug, Brad and all the others on the first anniversary of this most excellent forum! 🙂

Steve makes a very good point in that looking back there were a lot 'grumblings' regarding the changeover. Human nature tends not like change and prefers familiarity which in turn means comfort and even convenience.

From what I could gather at the time, the switching over to this new (and now not so new) forum was a matter of inevitability in order for us all to be able to continue in this format....and so now, a year later, this excellent version on an old theme has probably become familiar, comfortable and maybe even just as convenient to most of us as the GOF had become.

Also we now have the best of both worlds, a more technically reliable forum with added/easier to use features, and as Doug points out, that wonderful archive of incredibly valuable information that is the GOF - how spoilt are we!! 🙂🙂

Here's to another great 'forum year' ahead!

Comment

Douglas....Happy Anniversary to all of us - Shorty

Comment

Hard to believe it’s been a year. Personally I don’t like computers and all that goes along with them. With that said I still like the look of the old forum better...still don’t care for the look of this one but it is a nice place for info. I’m the analog kid.

Comment

Hi Bill,
                      Just wanted to mention something maybe some have not noticed available on the site.... yet!
                      Look to the bottom left of this screen(logged in). There you will find a drop down arrow to try different installed themes.
                      Maybe you will like one better than the default?
                      Cheers.
                      Matt

Click image for larger version

Name:	themes.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	22211

Comment

Working...
                      X