2020 - A Personal Reflection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 - A Personal Reflection

With perhaps the exception of those who lived through the war, I think I can safely say that 2020 has been the worst year of our lives.
    Lockdown following lockdown, restrictions on restrictions, amenities shut for most of the year, and travel / holidays curtailed due to this blasted Coronavirus.

On the film collecting front there has been virtually nothing happening. Not our fault, though. At the beginning of the year I promised myself to try to attend as many film collector functions as I could possibly squeeze in. Then, one by one, everything got cancelled. Trust me to pick THIS year ! It was my intention at Blackpool 2020 to have discussed with Shorty a potential visit to Cinesea in 2021. That will have to wait awhile now.
    However, not everything was curtailed. The last (?) Farnworth day took place shortly before the lockdown with a good attendance and plenty of film to rummage through. The first of the two planned Rickmansworth days took place. This was my first visit to the scout hut. Once again, quite a bit to wade through, but the overall opinion was that the numbers were heavily down due, we think, to the beginnings of Covid 19 as the lockdowns/restrictions started very shortly after.
    In the summer, when restrictions eased slightly, there was a corking weekend at Phil Sheards CHC in Cleethorpes/Grimsby. I only attended the Saturday morning sale. There were stacks of superb titles for sale, including the only full length copy I have ever seen in the UK of the Winslett / Di Caprio version of Titanic ! There were also several optical features for sale. I had been told that the day before (the sale started Friday) there had been about 15 - 20 of them. At least I managed to bag one of them. A feature called "Teachers" starring Jo Beth Williams of "Poltergeist" fame.

So there we are. I think they were the only three that took place. So if I am right about that, by default, I actually ended up attending 100% of them !
    Ebay has also been pretty lousy this year. The price of films just seems to be going crazy most of the time. Do people really think that they have found the Holy Grail if they stumble across a movie film in their attic??
    I did say "most" of the time. That is because I also bought what must be THEE best bargains to be sold on Ebay for many a year and certainly the highlight for me of this awful period. I am not going to tell you which films they were, just in case I decide somewhere down the line to move them on, but suffice to say, from the same seller, I acquired a full length cinemascope musical (mono sound) AND a full length cinemascope / stereo sound of a Derann Disney print. Including postage, I still had change out of....... wait for it....... £50 ! I kid ye not ! Obviously someone who didn't know what he was doing and was even sold as "Buy It Now." I was just casually browsing when they suddenly got listed. My initial thought of "If it is too good to be true....it probably IS" went out the door as it was worth the gamble with such a good price. Let me tell you.... when they arrived..... they might as well have been made yesterday. Both immaculate ! A case of being in the right place at the right time!

A happy moment in an otherwise lousy year. On a personal level, the final nail in the coffin of 2020 took place earlier this month when my own mother succumbed to the Coronavirus in the early hours of her 89th birthday. As you can imagine, Christmas was fun..... not. Now the funeral arrangements....

Tomorrow night, New Years Eve, I won't be toasting the New Year. I will be saying good riddance to the old year by standing up, raising my arms in the air, and with the help of both my index fingers and middle fingers, salute its passing.

Melvin, I extend my Prayers for your Mother. God in his Mercy, had taken all the souls lost to this virus but not to us....with the vaccines and intelligent cooperation, a feeling of living again will soon be upon us. As for Wildwood, the invite is open when you are ready, and I will see you at Blackpool. What you surmised about this past year is wholly accurate, though I will gladly welcome the next one with optimism and care....Cheers, Shorty

Comment

Melvin,

You summed up exactly how so many of us feel about 2020. I'm so sorry to read about your Mother's passing.

I hope 2021 will be better for everyone.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your Mum Melvin our thoughts are for you and yours.
        Xxxxxxxxx

Yes we lost a few friends to the Coronavirus and complications as result, a grim time along with our own dose for good measure. Let's just say the knocks are lingering in more ways than one.

I say this as a personal statement. Christmas was very quiet and as such was a good time for reflection. I guess it has been a leveller for many and good to help others perhaps living on their own. Working in media when fit enough I've been commissioned to film more funerals as few can attend who would usually. It's been a grim old 12 months and extremely sad to watch the loss. I've heard virus more times on my camera headphones than I have raise your glass for the bride and groom in 40 years videoing.
        I cant even begin to grasp what the health services have and are going thru but we can guess.

The good thing about this film forum is we share a common interest which brings us closer so none of us are alone. In the thick of it we get messages of support and sometimes a phone call which has been very touching to use anyway when low.

Keep in regular touch on here and we can look out of each other even a thousand or five miles miles away.
        ​​​​​​​Kind thoughts to all.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your mum Melvin

Without doubt 2020 has been a bad year, but apart from the vaccine later next year which is great news, I don't think 2021 will be much better if early indications of the spread of this virus mutations are anything to go by. As far as 2021 in concerned the saying "hope for the best but expect the worst" unfortunately during the first half of next year is on the cards.

Comment

Melvin, you sum up the year very well,just pleased its nearly over!
            Sorry about your Mum. I lost mine,she was 100,in Nov 2019,and I was able to stay with her in hospital for her last few days.I was so pleased that I could do that,and cant imagine how I would feel if she had died during covid.
            The vaccine is the big hope now,though no doubt things will get worse before better.This latest surge with new variant very worrying,lets hope NHS can cope!

Comment

Thank you all for your condolences. It was very kind of you all.

I hope everybody will have a much better year this year and, fingers crossed... "We'll Meet Again" in Blackpool this coming November.

Comment

Working...
              X