Saturday Morning Pictures on Talking Pictures TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Morning Pictures on Talking Pictures TV

Talking Pictures TV (UK channel) are doing their version of the Saturday Morning Pictures from February 6th.

All together now - 'We come along on a Saturday morning, greeting everybody with a smile' (cue baffled looks from forum members outside the UK).

Ah, memories of first attending one of these at the local ODEON in the winter of 1966 aged 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEMycRd8_Ag

Brilliant!

For me it would have been in the fall of 1969 going to the local 'Majestic' cinema in East London aged 6 ☺️

Comment

Ali, that seems quite late for a Saturday morning picture club. I was going in the late 40's. First to a Gaumont club (we come along....') and then, when it closed due to competition, I became an ABC minor. ('We are the boys and girls well known as minors of the ABC....). At the time I thought why did they call me a minor.....I've never been down a pit! That was in the unsophisticated days when a man would walk down the aisle, sit on a three legged stool and watch for the end to appear before turning a handle to close the curtains. He remained on his stool waiting to re-open them when the censors certificate or title came on the screen. He'd then disappear till next required. Wonder how many clubs actually remained by 1969?

Comment

Dave Groves i was still running Saturday Morning Picture Clubs at the Odeon Cinema where i was a projectionist right into the 1970's and 1980's.
        We also still ran Saturday Morning Pictures at the ABC Cinema in the 1990's . Even Cineworld Cinemas still had Saturday Morning shows for the kids but they are nothing like the Kids Clubs of the past of course.

I myself went to the Saturday Morning ABC Minors Club around 1960 onwards when i was around 6 years old . Great times with a show of Cartoons , Laurel and Hardy , 3 Stooges , Serials , early CFF films and a main feature .

Little did i know then that i would one day be a traditional film projectionist working and showing films up in that box to another generation of kids including my own . They got in for free of course ! HAPPY MEMORIES !

Comment

I've just watched the first part of today's, a Popeye cartoon the later colour run.

Comment

Sorry for the the late reply Dave (Groves)

Well I got there as early as I could - as I'd only just arrived from Canada πŸ˜‰

Comment

Love Larry 'Buster' Crabbe as Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers - and have both in my Super 8mm collection 😊

Comment

I used to go in the mid/late 70s, the only features i can remember seeing that have stuck in my mind were the japanese monster movies, also remember a few of the CFF films danny the dragon, boy who turned yellow etc.

Comment

Speaking of Saturday Morning Pictures, when I was a kid, Popeye, Tom and Jerry and Woody Woodpecker used to be on, on Saturdays as well as weekday mornings. Well, just recently, "Me TV" has started airing a weekday mornings hour long cartoon show complete with happy idiot cartoon host, and then on Saturdays, three full hours of classic cartoons. It's not quite a Saturday morning like I remember, but it is cool that my kids can enjoy a little of what I loved as a little kid, as I always looked forward to Saturday mornings!

Comment

ABC Chatham for me with its wonderful theatre organ.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	28263

Comment

Working...
                    X