E-bay charging buyers tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-bay charging buyers tax

Dear all please be carefull when purchasing items on e-bay as theyre now adding tax to the purchase price.Ive just won an auction for a film from a guy in Australia who ive bought films from before and noticed at checkout that on top of the purchase price and postage there is also a charge for tax which wasnt there before,apparently this started on the first of January 2021 apparently you still get charged import duty and tax if applicable.

It seems everything going in and out of the UK not with a company now needs customs forms and costs added etc etc.

Everything needs the forms.

Its a nightmare if we now buy from the EU.

Apparently " UK Government " advisors to business`s in the UK are now advising them to move and set up in the EU to save the many spiralling costs !!!

REALLY they are !!!

Fantastic.

Best Mark.

Comment

Yes and BEWARE ALL SELLERS !

PAYPAL adds a FEE when your customer buys an item through them that EBAY collects tax on !
      THAT FEE is deducted from your total intake - in other words : the price of the item + shipping is then taxed and Paypal now deducts 4% of THAT total .
      SO....you better up your postage charge to cover the tax or you may not cover the postage !!
      CROOKS AT WORK AGAIN !!

Comment

The thing that cheeses me off, is that both buyer and seller are taxed! As I have said before, SOMEBODY is making money, hand over fist ... and it isn't me!

Comment

So with import tax and vat worked out on the cost of the value of the item plus postage cost Royal mail (uk) paying that for us bless em and charging £12 for this favour that they do us and if you want your item that they have kindly held delivered on a Saturday then thats another £12 and now e-bay and paypal charge tax on top of all that to both the buyer and the seller well you have to laugh.

Comment

What happens if a film has to be returned for any reason. It sounds as if it's getting problematic and expensive.

Comment

Here in the US the buyers have been paying tax now since January of 2019. If a film is returned the seller gets all the fees back and the buyer gets all their money back. But how are the sellers being charged tax? I've never heard of that happening.

Comment

That's a good question ... Is that tax refundable if an item is returned? That question HAS to have been asked! Anybody know?

Comment

I think it would have to be . Just like at Wal-Mart when you return something , you get the total back . After all , why should eBay be exempt from returning the tax portion ??
                  Oh - don't answer that.....

Comment

Refunds to a Buyer
                    • If the buyer requires a refund—cancellation, full refund, less than full refund, or partial refund, eBay will refund the sales tax to the buyer in these cases since we collected the sales tax on the original transaction.
                    • The best practice is to send refunds through the eBay platform. However, if the refund is carried out on the PayPal platform, the seller is responsible to refund the full amount paid by the buyer at checkout including any paid Internet Sales Tax.
                    • The seller will have to review the original PayPal transaction for the total amount of tax due to the buyer and add this to the refund amount for a full refund or the proportional amount for a partial refund.
                    • When the seller refunds the buyer, eBay will credit them back any taxes refunded.
                    https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center...formation.html

Comment

My question is who has to file the collected tax to the government
                      that they collect
                      eBay PayPal or the seller ????

Comment

I understand 'tax' to be a charge imposed on the transaction by the state. So what state imposed this tax?

Comment

Another good question, as litterally every state has a different tax on purchases.

Comment

It's not a Federal VAT, but state sales tax. As Osi says: different in every state. -not only that, but even by the County the purchase was made in in the first place. They get a chunk of it.

If you buy from Delaware, there is no sales tax (They don't need it, they have Dupont there.). My sister lives near the Pennsylvania/Delaware border. There are all sorts of retail shopping almost immediately on the Delaware side, and all sorts of consumer goods flowing North into Pennsylvania. On the Pennsylvania side it's pretty much just farm land. If you drive through there with a washing machine visible in your pickup truck, a State Trooper just might pull you over and give you the forms so you can pay the Pennsylvania sales tax. (It's a...service they provide). It seems most people...forget...for some reason.

Comment

I have been sales taxed on ebay items since 2019 where I live in the US

-returned items tax gets refunded and all fees (this should be a no brainer)

-Paypal and ebay file the taxes with government. you don't because your not collecting the tax

-paying taxes is not avoidable unless you are non profit or it's a private sale

Comment

Working...
                              X