Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackpool 2019 - A Message from Bill Davison

Hi All

I recently attended the brilliant 2019 Blackpool film convention and brought along Bill Davison of Movie Maker and Ten Best fame. Bill asked me to post the following message for him:

"Hello , collectors out there !

I would just like to say what a marvelous day I had at the recent Blackpool Film Convention.

I must admit, in my ignorance, I did not even know it still existed – until a film enthusiast ,Guy Badger, contacted me a few months ago.

It was such a pleasure to see, and feel, the enthusiasm that still exists for ‘package movies’. So good to chat about the old conventions – and the famous Auctions - which seemed to go on forever! What a pleasure, and surprise, to meet again Ged Jones – Derek’s right-hand man at Derann for all those years.

An often recurring theme when chatting was –“ I’d heard you’d died . .” Well, I can assure you I’m still alive and kicking – and to prove it, Guy Badger has chatted to me over recent months about my Ten Best days and my Package movie column (1974 to 1986). He’s recorded this and plans to produce a DVD of my reminiscences – so keep an eye open for it !

Once again, it was a pleasure to meet you all . .

And keep collecting !

Bill Davison
    Bootlace cinema"

Below: Bill Davison & Ged Jones - Blackpool 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	BillandGed_Blackpool2019.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	273

Gentlemen, a pleasure to know you - Cheers from Shorty

Comment

How nice this was to read! I've never been to black pool but having gone to the event in New Jersey I feel the energy compassion and love for this hobby best wishes to all around the world who continue to keep the hobby alive!

Comment

I have told this story on the Derann Vaults page regarding Bill Davison. ( I think I may have mentioned it on the former forum too) My friend and I attended the very first Blackpool event in 1976 (7?) which was organised by Bill and a Blackpool dealer. Staying at the same B&B, we shared a breakfast table with Bill and one other person. Back then Bill was known as 'Mr Eumig' for his love of their projectors but my friend and myself had suffered tremendous problems with the much vaulted 810D HQS just after the guarantee had expired. My colleague,unaware who Bill was, launched into a tirade about the 810 and no amount of prodding and nudging from me could stop him.

Comment

It was great to read that Bill is still alive and kicking after the rumours of his demise . Bill's " Bootlace Cinema" 8mm package movie reviews were the first pages i read in Movie Maker . Sometimes for fun i would try and hold out reading them until last just to torture myself . Happy memories of a time now long gone . I too am a fan of good old Eumigs and still use them to this day . I look forward to the forth coming DVD . Oh yes and good old Ged Jones of Derann is still very much with us too on Facebook via The Derann Vaults .

Comment

I left midday on the Sunday of the convention so I didn't get to meet Mr Davison - maybe he'll pay a return visit next year ?

Comment

So what was the source of the 'Bill Davison is Dead' rumour? Because I had been under that same impression. It had come up again on this and another forum within the last few years. Someone posted about 'Bootlace Cinema' and another posted along the lines of 'sad he died so young and tragically'. How do these things start? It is along the lines of the 'Mandela Effect' videos one sees on YouTube. The other one I remember was about Cheech and Chong. Tommy Chong was dead. I was in the States a few years ago talking with some film buffs. 'Yeah, he died way back.' Turns out he didn't and is still around. Mandela Effect.

Comment

Last time I met Bill was in the 80's and so nice to see him again wonderful piccy

Comment

Working...
                X