Film Buying From Abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Buying From Abroad

Have you since 1st January bought a film from abroad?
    As eBay are automatically adding 20% VAT on such purchases I am wondering how the UK customs and any other import authorities are aware that such VAT has already been paid.
    In the past any items bought from an EU country did not attract any import duties. I assume that the standard customs form has now to be attached to such parcels, but can it also indicate that VAT has already been paid.

Maurice

Customs labels on everything after April unless they sort something out Maurice. The 20% VAT is on any purchase coming into UK. I think they are adding in a sales tax as well but US buyer would pay that. Bodes well for international buying and selling 😔

Comment

From a business point of view a nightmare particularly VAT paperwork.

At present I have media shelved in a warehouse destined for Germany and I've sent all manner of paperwork customs requested to get them released. To date they have been in and out of customs warehouses 21 times out and 21 times back to a shelf. They have all the necessary paperwork required with some of it being sent more than once.
      I have decided to no longer ship to anywhere in Europe which at this point of my working life is not much of a crisis for me, but I do fear for younger businesses some of which have already done the same thing. My media has been at the border for over a month now. I can get it back but you don't want to know how much they are asking.

If you live in the UK embrace services over here or you may have a bumpy ride..

Comment

It seems to be throwing up a multitude of problems. Glad I have bought most of what I wanted years ago because you couldn’t afford to buy it now. It is going to get worse before it gets better and a lot of trade and jobs will go in the process which is sad for those involved.

Comment

I just ordered a film from Australia, and that's my first film from overseas in over a year, so fingers crossed on no extra charges.

Comment

For what its worth I have just got a message saying very sorry but it may take up to 4 months for your parcel to clear customs. Champion only 3 to go!
            They must be laying into the Fassbrause in the meantime.

Osi you should be OK mein fruend

Comment

Why in the living heck (being as decent as possible) would it potentially take four bloody months. What? Covid is causing packages to need respirators and hospital time? I know, I am being a little more than fececious, but it almost makes me pine for the good ole days when packages would take a mere two months from Italy! I mean, should we not actually be capable of speeding up deliveries over time? Nope, it gets slower but hey, on the up side, it costs more!

Comment

No more flying planes no passengers save the world etc. Likely post is coming by solar powered sail boat then Stagecoach across land. Least no Bandits just customs agents. The Deadwood Stage is coming over them hills Yee Ha.

Just out of interest last week or so Parcelforce Post Office are now delivering to me at 6:30pm at night. Is this a new service or just COVID doesn’t attack them after dark.

Strange thing first night he said cheerio “see you tomorrow” and lo and behold he turned up the next night same time. Does he know I have post but can’t be arsed to bring it in one load.

Funny little person small and hairy like something out of The Hobbit maybe goblins and gnomes work for less at night.

Comment

I've been waiting a parcel from Germany (our neighboors !) since 26 days. And we're both in the EU ! The tracking page has not changed since the 19th January (it just says the parcel is in Belgium...). I m also desesperately waiting for a parcel from the US and another one from NZ...As Osi says, things went to worse...

Comment

Have you tried calling your postal service? Perhaps that might help. You would think that all of these shipping services would work together, considering that the overall economy of the world is at stake. A question for everyone everywhere. How fast or slow is your mail within national borders? I am stunned as to how fast Fed ex is in ordering things off of the internet stores. Order it Friday, it's here on Monday. That's even free shipping.

Comment

I recently bought 4 super 8mm films from an eBayer in Germany and received ALL of them in a reasonable length of time and paid NO extra fees or taxes .

Comment

Osi, the precceding time something went from Germany, it was handled there by the same carrier choosen by the last seller. It appeared that the parcell was given to another carrier and this second one gave my parcell to the Belgian post office. When the carrier changes, most of the time the tracking number is no longer valid. I have no Idea if my parcell is still supposed to be delivered by the same company. There is a phone number but...in Germany. I will allow another week before trying to contact them. Things were easier when the Belgian post office had the monopole. Each private company had his own policy. Some send you an e-mail (or even a text on your phone) to warn you they will bring you something, some leave a message in your box if you're not at home to tell you they will come back the following day. Some don't contact you at all !

Comment

Allelujah, one of my awaited parcels has just arrived. I was lucky the customs didn't charge me I will keep my fingers crosses for the parcel sent from the US and the one from Germany.

Comment

And it isn't just film. Ordered a blu-ray last week costing £13.50 plus postage. Ebay added £5 tax and I was informed it will be delivered from Greece somewhere between 24th March and the 6th April!

Comment

i think you'll find that despite the wonderful trade deal we were suppose to have got, the EU want to teach the UK a lesson for leaving, now if you buy any goods from the EU they are subject to taxes, in many cases a third of the price you pay for the goods, (including films on ebay or from any dealers). You dont always find out until the courier delivering it to you leaves you a note in the door to say if you want it you will have to pay the charge before delivery and if you dont pay, you dont get. As yet it hasn't happened to me but it has happened to two people i work with. Both ordered from ebay.
                              Personally, buy as little from overseas as possible or simply, pay the taxes.

Do you know the similarities between the tax man and a duck?
                              They can both stick their bills up their a**

Comment

Working...
                              X