Odeon Stamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odeon Stamp

I am just in the middle of sorting out my late father's stamp collection, when I came across this little item that may be of interest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09523.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	28070

Wow Melvin - fantastic!

Comment

I've got one in my book on Odeon Cinemas. Wonder what it's worth now?

Comment

19p ?

........ or did you mean your book ?

Comment

I still have one of those Odeon stamps somewhere . Only thing is i can't remember where i stored it for safe keeping .

Comment

Hi Melvin - whatever you do keep a hold of that stamp - I don't know the terminology for it but it has an error to put it in cine terms 'it's not framed properly'
            These stamps would fetch quite a bit if you were to sell it to stamp collectors (I'm not one by the way)

Comment

I think the positioning of the 19 makes it obvious that it was intentional if the main picture was centered the cost would be cut so that part appeared at the top of the stamp. A stamp designer with knowledge of film!

Comment

I have found out that the stamp that Melvin posted is part of a set entitled "100 Years of Going to the Pictures" released in 1996 and is quite normal. Here are pictures of the other stamps in the series:

100 years going to the pictures 19p100 years going to the pictures 25p100 years going to the pictures 30p100 years going to the pictures 35p
                100 years going to the pictures 41p
                The offset image is intentional - with the perforations of the stamp being similar to the sprocket holes in a piece of film (thanks to Melvin for pointing this out ) 🤣😎
                Last edited by Daniel Bottom; February 13, 2021, 02:28 AM. Reason: Removed "Well, apologies for the double post" since by the time I had finished composing it, it wasn't!

Comment

Working...
                X