Troubling eBay trend ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubling eBay trend ...

I know, it seems like there are a lot of eBay complaint posts, (and there are), this is one that involves a trend that is inspired by sales, but in the wrong direction. In this case, there have been a few titles that have sold for an outrageously high bid ... then other people, who list, according to trends, will price they're item for four or five hundred dollars where, just weeks before, would have sold for 50 dollars. OK, I know, they're items won't sell and stay out there for perhaps years, but my fear is that a lot of people who might consider getting into super 8 or film in general, will be scared away and others will just be priced out in general. For instance, I saw "Night of the Living Dead" priced at over 400 dollars, and "It's A Wonderful Life" for over 400.00 as well. I mean, until just recently, these titles would be around 150 dollars or so. but with these prices, well it's getting kind of rediculous when you can buy a pretty good projector for the price of one feature, and we aren't talking about top of the line Derann's. I even see cartoons up at over 70 dollars! Sheesh!
    Last edited by Osi Osgood; February 10, 2021, 07:35 PM.

I agree with Osi, film prices on eBay are getting ridiculous, particularly the Buy It Now items. A lot of the time the sellers have no projection equipment or facilities for showing film frames, just endless photos of spools and cans from all angles. Also measurements in centimetres.
    I would never consider any purchase from such sellers.

Maurice

Comment

I agree with all the above comments. As I have mentioned before, non film people seem to think.... Movie Film = Holy Grail !

RUBBISH !.... and we all know it.

Non film people see these prices and think their ship has come in, not knowing the real value. Sadly, though, the blame can also be laid at the feet of one or two of our very own forum members!
      There are a very select few who really should know better. I am all for making money but blatantly extracting the urine is another matter. As also stated before, I couldn't care less what price a film eventually sold for. If someone wants to pay £1000 for a feature then all I can say is "lucky seller!" That is up to them. It is not our job to artificially hike the prices with films that are just going round and round the Ebay listings for an eternity. Haven't sellers got the message yet ?

Comment

I have said many times, if a film is listed properly and a sensible start price is listed, what it goes for is, as Melvin said, fine, its up to the buyer.
        The idiots making our hobby look stupid are those, and i include
        vladimpailer68 who has been selling super 8 for many years but seems fit to list 400ft super 8 films with fade and scratches with a BIN price of £5000.00. Nothing short of disgraceful, and that seller is not alone.
        The only thing i can say about those sort of start and buy it now prices is, they are good for a laugh.

Comment

Many prices have gotten ridiculous, coupled with the notion that when these buyers then go to sell what they bought, they will never get that original price. Auctions are the same, though I prefer the "live" ones where one can see...actually examine...the items, and I feel bidding wouldn't escalate as it does on Ebay. At the old Cinefest shows up Syracuse way, there was always such an auction at show's end...bidding was competitive, yet no anger or excessive gouging to gain the item or items...I've done well by Ebay in times past, now very seldom....Shorty

Comment

Another example of this is, just recently, there was an optical sound feature of "Superman: the Movie'. To that auctions credit, it had the color treatment and so, though it sold for 525.00 (unless someone made a deal to buy it for less) you are getting decent color. Now, there is an optical feature of "American Graphitti", and while, yes, it is rare, but it also has a good deal of fade and the beginning, starting bid? Over 400.00 dollars!

Comment

Working...
            X