Old Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Films

One thing I really enjoy is watching films such as this one made back in 1966. We did this run from Gourock to Glasgow many many times, from the 1960s to 1973. What this film shows is how the summers of the 1960s were great times. Watching this film is like going back in a time machine. Anyway if you are interested in a bit of a rail journey and a look at the Clyde, then you might enjoy this also.

I'll look forward to watching that film whilst having a 'wee dram' in the evening Graham πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‹

When it's allowed again, I like to get into Glasgow by the ferry to Wemyss Bay and then a ScotRail 4-Car (diesel/electric nowadays) through to Central Station. The journey takes about an 1.5hrs allowing for connections but is thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable ☺️

Comment

Enjoying the 2-part Walton GIANTS OF STEAM...also the Romney, Hythre & Dimchurch excursion...including Laurel and Hardy...and an obscure 9.5; BEALINE TO JERSEY....continuing my quest for rail and aviation subjects...Cheers all, Shorty

Comment

Hi Ali

If I remember right it was at Gilmour Street Station, is where the line would branch of for Wemyss Bay. I used to travel daily to work from Dunoon to Paisley 1971-73 and remember waiting at the station for the last train with a boat connection to Gourock, while diesel trains would also arrive at Gilmour Street from Glasgow on there way to Wemyss Bay.

My first full time job was as a store boy, at a Ford Agent "Alexander Bros" in Greenock after leaving school at 15 years in 1967, so travelling back and forth every day from Dunoon to Greenock, later years I went to the Watt Memorial College during my apprentice motor trade days.

Back then I used to buy a weekly ticket "5 pound", that allowed me as many journeys as you like, from Gourock to Glasgow Central return. Looking back I new a girl I went to school with, who worked in Glasgow during the week, but every Friday night, on a very full last train from the Central, always managed to keep me a seat when it got on at Paisley. To this day, and after 47 years away, she still sends me a yearly Christmas card from Scotland.

Joe on Super 8 have you got "Night Mail" GPO 1936. 600ft B/W. Derann released it years ago, although the print quality was a bit on the dark side, however its a very interesting film. A good color Super 8 film they did release was "Ride Of The 480" a New Zealand National Film Unit 400ft. Lastly and its not one I have watched in very a long time, is "Vickers Aviation" 400ft B/W A comprehensive and dramatic record of over 50 years of achievement from the Vickers corporation, it was another release that came later from Derann.

Comment

Hi Graham, I'm sure you're right re Gilmour St station as I think I remember seeing another line come in from another direction.

That's a lovely note about still receiving a Christmas card from that woman πŸ™‚

Btw, my other hobby is OO Gauge model railways - which I will be re-embarking on next fall and once I've cleared the large spare-room I have set aside for it of all my films etc...

Two great hobbies for a single man these days, but both require quite a bit of space - hence buying a large, two-bedroom old style tenament flat! πŸ˜‰

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6837.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	28325 Thanks Ali

A while ago I did come across a photo of the garage I worked at 1971-73 it was just down the road from the Gilmour Street Station. "Blanes" were the "Datsun" agents at the time. An apprentice that worked there when I was there, replied to me after my comment to this photo on the "Paisley Facebook Page" I was surprised that he remembered me after all those years, and stated that I was "one of the good guys" he had worked with. You would think that after 47 years people forget, not the case.

For a while I was the only qualified mechanic, there were about eight apprentices mostly I should add on low wages, but "Blanes" still charged top dollar for there time working on a car. "Datsun" cars were a pleasure to work on compared with British stuff that was around at the time. When I came to NZ I continued working on Datsun's for a few more years. I guess they are now regarded as classics the ones that have not rusted away that is.
            Last edited by Graham Ritchie; February 14, 2021, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Well you must have left a good impression Graham!

I remember Datsuns very well as one of my junior school friend's mum had one, complete with the 8-track cartridge player - before the cassette-players came in.

Although at the time they seemed a really cool car with more electrics than the average Ford, they were indeed known as 'rust-buckets' - I don't know if that is why they disappeared only to return as the reinvented Honda that we see today? πŸ€”

Comment

I left the motor trade late 1976, however I think Nissan dropped the name of Datsun in the 80s and just used the Nissan name instead.

Datsun cars were very reliable and mechanically real easy to work on. I remember taking a 240Z on a road test on the motorway near Paisley and that car could really fly . Looking back I think the Datsun 1200 was the most popular which was later replaced with the 120Y.

Still got it
                Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-15 20-31-41_0001.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	28365

Comment

Working...
                X