VCR repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VCR repair

So you think fixing a GS1200 is complicated? Try a VHS player.
    I told my grandson I was trying to fix my 1980 Sony VHS player, and he looked at me incredulously and said "why"! Well for several reasons, one being that I hate throwing away anything that can possibly be fixed, I also have quite a few old VHS tapes including many of the BFCC Armchair Odeon video's , and they don't make VHS players any more, and if I am going to throw it out anyway, then I may as well have a shot at fixing it.
    Well after removing the cover I was able to see how the thing works. For anyone who has not seen a VCR thread up the tape around the spinning video heads, the sound head, and the tensioning arms, it is something to behold, an amazing accomplishment of mechanical and electronic engineering. Two rollers poking up underneath the little hinged lid of the cassette capture the tape loop and move down a long curved track around the video drum, sound head, and rollers. Correct tape threading is monitored by a couple of infra red sensors , if the tape position is messed up the procedure is aborted. A mechanical rotary mode switch tells the electronics what to do for the various loading, play, stop, rewind, eject commands.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02923.JPG Views:	0 Size:	173.5 KB ID:	28515

This complex motion is achieved by a combination of weird looking gears and linkages. Hats off to the Sony engineers who came up with this brilliant design, it's amazing that VCR's ever worked at all. But then they had to do all this on a piece of equipment designed to sell at about $200.00 or less and still make a profit! So all the gears and other stuff are made from injection molded nylon, real complicated pieces which cost maybe a $1.00 each!
    Anyway, after spending about 25 hours over a period of 4 days my VCR is now working 100%. The problem was a split plastic piece on the clutch assembly.
    Last edited by Paul Adsett; February 23, 2021, 10:09 AM.

I glad the repair worked out well Paul, very satisfying. I know what you mean about VHS and other formats video formats, and the facinating way that they grab the tape out of the cassette and wind the tape around various guides, the video head, control head and audio head. Watching the Hokushin - SC-10 16mm Projector threading does remind me of a video recorder loading.

Comment

Nice Paul.

My late father got his first cassette VCR in 1972 a Philip's N1500 and he had many happy hours keeping it working back then great memories. Seem to vaguely remember a 45 min tape was £19 wow.
      I used to love duplicating tapes in the 90s having 20 panasonic machines loaded with tape and pressing one remote to start them off. Not the same fun duplicating dvd or blu ray for me at least.
      Those Panasonic 200's super vhs machines have video heads made of granite in sure.

Nice to read of your vhs success

Comment

This brings me another concern. While good working vcrs are still plentiful and cheap today, what will happen when these stock eventually dries up in the near future?

Unlike turntable for example, vcr is far too complicated for small production run. It must be mass-produced to keep the cost down, but the demand had already gone. My wild guess is that in the next 20 years most house would still have some vhs tapes lying around, but absolutely no way to play them again since working vcr no longer exist.

The only solution I can think of is to stockpile as much fully functioning vcrs as I can, plus some safety margin (currently about a dozen of them) and hope for the best.

Comment

Hi Paul, I still use VHS. Have loads of films I bought an others recorded from TV. I also have the "Armchair Odeons" and other tapes from Keith Wilton. I have 4 Panasonic VHS recorders, on being an S VHS model. Initially purchased a couple fro editing my Sony 8 camera films, Now re record them onto DVD. I find all this constant changing of digital formats and computer systems very frustrating and extremely wasteful. Buy something today and its obsolete tomorrow and not backwards compatible. What a waste, and much of it not recycleable. No wonder the planet is overloaded with plastic waste and forests destroyed by mining for the rare elements required for modern technology. I understand that unwanted VHS tapes are not recycled. I think the manufacturers should have made this possible. Ken Finch.

Comment

I think even the broadcasters and film companies are fed up with changes to digital systems. If they can't copy from redundant ones to new ones before the hardware fails even more programmes will be lost.

Comment

I have a corner in my home with an old 1983 Woodgrain Portland CRT television and a small collection of Horror films I have to watch whenever the mood strikes me! It's fun and thankfully for me I can find most tapes at thrift stores for pennies on the dollar.

Comment

I still have Panasonic and Sony VHS machines and I recommend both makes as VCRs. I recently ventured into Betamax and incredibly have picked up a couple of pre-recorded tapes new and sealed! Unbelievable. They play great.

Comment

Working...
                X