High Pressure Mercury Bulbs in Digital Projectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Pressure Mercury Bulbs in Digital Projectors

Hello, I am looking for opinions regarding High Pressure Mercury Bulbs in digital projectors.

I own an Hitachi PJTX200 projector which produces fabulous Images, but I find I am put off using it after discovering that it contains one of these bulbs. The manual with the projector mentions that bulbs can sometimes fail with a loud bang and that mercury vapour can be released from the vents and not to inhale it and to vacate the room and ventilate it thoroughly.

With the experience of the members of this forum, has anyone had a bulb explode on them and what did they do about it. The thing I have trouble with regarding this is that many living rooms are small and would therefore be contaminated with small amounts of mercury. Additionally, sitting in these rooms how are you supposed to avoid inhaling the vapour when the projector is in close proximity to the people viewing the film and your not expecting it. Thank you in advance.

Hi Phil, I’ve owned many (probably close to 10) digital projectors since 2004 and I’ve never had a bulb explode. Also, I would think that you could only be at risk if it does explode and you will surely have enough time to vacate the room and ventilate it before it could have an adverse effect. I would say these lamps are pretty safe actually as I’ve not heard of anyone being adversely affected by one.

I seem to recall long ago reading about someone that had a bulb explode on avsforum, but even in that case they were fine...

Comment

Only lamp I had explode in 50 years was in a Elmo GS1200 Xenon and my goodness what a bang with a tirade of glass landing after the bang on the audience around me. The engineer told me they had a faulty batch fitted so should have been recalled. Hmm bit late that back in the 80's!

Comment

Working...
      X