Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popping Phutt + Wallop !!! Tumble Drier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping Phutt + Wallop !!! Tumble Drier.

Asking on here as some very in the know types.

My Beko condensor Tumble drier is 8 -10 years old or so and has been amazing.

But tonight there was aloud pop or Phutt/Pooff sound, light smells of burning and my RCD went over.

But once back power wise etc the tumbke drier lit up and started, though only ran it for 5 or so seconds, fearing a another Phutt.

Appreciate any thoughts etc please.

I thought the motor had blown and was very surprised it went back on and round ?

Many Thanks Mark.

Mark, you win the award for the coolest title to a new series of posts!

Comment

The burning smell was probably a stalled motor overheating.

Regrettably, the appliances these days aren't built as well as the ones our parents had: in many cases they are done in about a decade.

-that's progress for you...

Comment

Tell me about it! I had a microwave in the 80's that lasted for a full 20 years. In the last 20 years? 3 microwaves! For the last almost 40 years, I have had a bought at Radio Shack, Archer brand Dolby Surround sound unit, and it still works like a dream, and, by the way, super 8 films sound great through it!

Comment

I got rid of my Beko washing machine a few months ago. I was bought back in 2009 so I had a good run with it. It was still working but the bearings had gone so it was producing a grating, metal on metal sound while in spin mode.

Comment

The company Hotpoint (also Indesit) were in trouble a few years ago as it became clear that their tumble driers could catch fire. It's essential on a condenser tumble dryer to remove the condenser unit (normally unclips and slide out of the bottom of the machine) and rinse out any fluff every month or so. If not, there becomes a risk that it can be sucked through to the heating element at the rear of the machine.

We had an Indesit for about 13 years and once forgot to replace the condenser as you have to let it dry. Within minutes the machine smelt of burning and when I took it apart, I was amazed to see that even with the condenser in place, there was no further guard from fluff hitting the hot heating element. At that time the scandal of them catching fire had not become known, so I cleaned it up, put it back together and carried on. When I discussed it with a mate, I was amazed to learn that he had no idea that the compressor should be cleaned every so often. No wonder some ended up building up dust and fluff and catching fire. Hotpoint issued a modification or replacement; we received a brand new machine when the original was already 13 years old. That's how worried they were.

Mark, I would hope that your Beko machine has the extra filter that Hotpoint added to the heating element, but it is just possible that a lump of fluff made it's way onto the heating element? That would certainly cause a burning smell and a phut as it hit the element. And once it had burnt away (assuming it hasn't taken your house with it) it would probably run ok again.

Comment

Hi Rob and everyone, going to try it today. Its lasted we well enough.

One thing I was chuffed to get two year`s ago was a Gorenje Washing machine, Brushless motor and an extra water settings, well 2 extra water settings. Also a 60 that uses lots and lots. You usually need to go to a Miele etc for that.

Though I did see on some indesits etc you can adjust the water level up more.

Clean washing again. Hope it keeps going.

https://www.gorenje.co.uk/products/l...s/wa946/731010

Though you have to keep on top of the filter on the Gorenje.

I did actually buy a new Drier last March when this one made some very very funny noises that went away.

Its at the ex`s, a Hotpoint, but have to say wish I had bought another Beko, it was in a bit of a rush as things got crazy.

I did check the hotpoint number and looked as if the later one I hope.

I`ll nip and try the drier, and then pop on the ST600 as well to check that, well just have a quick fix really.

Best Mark.

Comment

Beko cooker and fridge here best we have ever had. The first Beko washer we had developed a fault 1 day after warranty expired. I phoned dealer and they authorised delivery of a new replacement which is still in use.
                Very pleased with them.

The Beko washer has been well used having had many foster children coming and going. I must drop Beko a line some time.

Comment

Hi Lee, sorry I missed an email off you.

Messaging my new one.

Best Mark.

Comment

Lee I'll bet those foster children were forced to sit through Bugsy Malone before they left Ha Ha.
                    Last edited by Graham Sinden; March 06, 2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X