Old Fashioned Skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Fashioned Skills

As a X motor mechanic from the 1960s this video showing the kids how to work on "old stuff" like this Morris Minor, and I owned two of them I should add is really neat.

I'm all in favor of this! Everybody, whether male or female, that drives a car needs to have at least some concept what makes the thing work (-or not!).

In this house, we've come to accept certain...limitations. My wife still hasn't convinced me there are more than about 7 colors ("mauve"?) and I can't prove her car isn't propelled by a big hamster on a wheel under the hood.

We have ways around this: I let her pick out house paint and if she gets her oil changed she always says "I'll mention it to my husband." when she gets called up to the service counter!

An old car is definitely the way to learn, too. Everything is so much simpler and so much more accessible. In basically every sense newer cars are better, but there is just too much going on behind the scenes for somebody in their driveway with a toolbox to understand intuitively.

If I remember right, a modern Mercedes Benz has something like 30 onboard computers! Many professional mechanics won't touch one that's gone berserk!

A lady I worked with had one that wouldn't turn off. I said to a friend who's a mechanic:

Me: "My friend at work has a Mercedes..."
    Mechanic: "No!"
    Last edited by Steve Klare; March 08, 2021, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Perhaps electric cars will simplify things, but only a bit I suspect.

Comment

Sure: a lot of computing power goes into engine control and emissions management. That would have to be simpler.

-but there is everything else.
        I have a '68 Ford (-currently on hiatus). Climate controls are some levers on the dashboard pulling on cables: there is no AC (it was optional) If it wasn't for the radio, this car would have no semiconductors at all!
        I had an '88 Ford. Climate controls were pneumatic (engine vacuum) and AC was standard.
        I have a 2017 Honda. Climate controls are via touch screen, (Dual zone! Heated seats! Either AC or heat comes on with remote start dependent on outside temperature. I think it can respond to voice commands, but I refuse to talk to a car!)

I know what's nicer to live with, but I also know what's easier to fix!

Comment

I bet a few of the UK members have had Morris Minors in their motoring past.Ive had 3,starting with a bright orange one that cost £50 in 1972!

Comment

Because I have a lot of health issues, I've not been able to regularly drive for many years! It's been a bummer but something you work through, but now I'm finally able to drive again I would love to find myself an older car that I can dependably drive around town and fix up.

Plus I'm just one of those weird younger folks (30) that likes older things and learning how stuff ticks.

Comment

Working...
            X