Dutch inventor of the cassette tape, Lou Ottens, dies age 94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I recently found these whilst unpacking a remaining box. Back in the day, Memorex was considered one of the more premium quality of cassette-tapes to record with.

The cassettes themselves were used to record a truly great radio series on BBC Radio about the Golden Age of Hollywood that aired in 1981-82.

It was broadcast in six one hour parts, narrated by James Mason, and included audio interviews with surviving actors, actresses, directors etc from the old 'Studio-System' days - it was very enjoyable and a really pleasant surprise to find it again after all these years 😊

I will listen to it again at some point, but wonder where parts 2+3 have gone to? 🤔

Comment

TDK did at one time have a seriously long playing cassette the C-180. The oxide was so thin you could almost see through it clearly and the base so fragile they said "Do not rewind or fast forward"!!!!!

Comment

I really do believe that the audio cassettes of the late sixties into the 70's were the best. They may not have had the highest "range", but many of my later chrome or metal cassettes are slightly garbled sounding, where a lot of the maxell cassettes of the 70's still sound just fine, with very little wear at all.

Comment

Maxell XL-ll cassettes for me on Nikamichi I could not bring myself to part with although maintenance was always high on them.
            Dad liked Teac, my final cassette recorder was a Fostex 8 track which was a great bit of kit for building sound tracks for my films.
            Nice to read the cassette experiences.

Comment

TDK Super Avilyn for me. The C90 was £5 if memory correct, quite a sum at the time.

Comment

It seems like a million years ago but this one played on the TV a lot in NZ, must have been the 1980s, cant remember exactly when but it was one add that you never forget

Comment

That's brilliant Graham! 😆

I remember buying my girlfriend a Walkman in January 1982 for her birthday - they were considered very 'hi-tech' for the time and within months it seemed that whenever I was on the subway virtually everyone was listening to one!

Comment

My deck is an Onkyo, still sounds great to this day!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	datman.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	30768

The famed Sony Datman, the portable DAT digital tape recorder/player. This one still works.

Comment

I believe a Sony Betamax portable recorder (the F2?) sold very well to the recording industry as it took a PCM audio adapter which gave the best mobile diogital sound recordings at that time.

Comment

Cassette Decks still fetch good money on ebay today.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aiwa-F99...rdt=true&rt=nc

Comment

I have a lot of spoken word on cassettes. Yamaha made great decks and I'm glad to say I still have a good working one with Dolby B and C.

Comment

Back in the 90's when I was first going into the recording studios, our master mixes would be saved on DAT tape. Still have them all. We had all the original tracks on a form of high end cassettes that looked like your standard video cassettes, (same size), but they are digital. Forget what they were called.

Comment

Working...
                              X