Stereo broadcasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo broadcasting

We take stereo radio for granted nowadays, but does anybody in the UK remember the BBC's experimental stereo radio broadcasts in the 1950's? I remember it quite well. In advance of the actual first test broadcast the BBC put out instructions, in the Radio Times and on the air, on how to hear it. You had to have two radios positioned far apart in your living room, one tuned to one of the BBC medium wave band frequencies and the other tuned to another one. The actual Saturday morning test was breathlessly awaited! The tests lasted about an hour and consisted of the typical stuff needed to sell stereo - trains coming into stations, car racing, tennis, and classical music. I remember the whole thing working quite well, I know I was suitably impressed! That was the thing about the BBC they were always pushing stuff technically - the Worlds first Broadcast TV service in 1936, first live transatlantic TV in 1962, Telstar.

I don't remember those ones but do remember one where one channel was on TV and the other the Third Programme (before it became Radio 3 so before 1967. That may have been a TV stereo experiment though.

Oh Baird did do his first trans Atlantic TV transmission (30 lines mechanical scan) on Short Wave radio in the 1920's.

Comment

I think your have it right Brian, it was a TV and a radio. Probably the only time I ever tuned into the Third Programme!

Comment

What a wonderful bit O history! Thanks for. Sharing. As a person who who does his own music and all the mixing as well, it really is an art to do a proper stereo mix, and there is a very nice range to a stereo mix and even, if you're really good, an expansion of the stereo tracks to allow for surround sound. (even without Dolby Surround). Though I am good, I am not that good.

Comment

Working...
        X