No announcement yet.

Laurel and Hardy Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary, in my personal opinion, it's a mandatory read for they're film work, however, for they're lives apart from film, go elsewhere. The nice thing about this specific McCabe book, is just how much extra information that goes way beyond "running time" and such!

Comment

Just got the 'From the Forties Forward' book and it's superb. I've jumped in at the chapter on 'Home movies', which was a great read and now I'm reading the following chapter 'The Film Legacy' (I rarely read this type of book by starting at the beginning). Loving it so far.

Comment

Shorty,

"The Final Film of Laurel & Hardy" by Norbert Aping is still available in English language via Amazon Germany: https://www.amazon.de/Final-Film-Lau...s=books&sr=1-2

Comment

Added to that I would recommend the Gaumont BluRay of the film from a 2K restoration packed with many extras. I find it a hard film to watch for obvious reasons.
          The 98 minute nitrate scanned film on disc also contains a comprehensive audio commentary.

The 16mm home.movies are also a great bonus.

A old show business friend of mine spent a bit of time with the boys when they came to Bradford UK on tour. The Alhambra theatre was packed out andothey loved the show. He couldn't watch the film a shadow of what he had seen before, but it is still Laurel and Hardy.

Bless them for the laughter.
          Last edited by Lee Mannering; April 14, 2021, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	32365 Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	32366 Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	32367 Three rarities from my collection.If you want "personal facts" and gossip,search for the first one. From 2003, an 120 page collection of newspaper clippings. The second,published in the same year as Everson's book,is a more serious study on their films. The third comes from 1934, a "Big Little Book" clone with story adaptations of five of their shorts and over 60 photos

Comment

Here's another book for you to consider which I doubt many of you will have in your collection.

"Laurel and Hardy in Hull" by Ken Owst focuses on their appearances in Hull, UK, at the New Theatre in 1947 and the Palace Theatre in 1953 including personal reminiscences of these visits. The book also includes a very rare photograph of the boys when they stopped off at The Dixons Arms public house (now demolished) in Woodmansey which is a small village a few miles north of Hull on the way to their venue. There is a forward by Lord Delfont.

The book was published by Highgate Publications (Beverley) Ltd in 1990.

Please PM me for further publishing details if you are seriously interested in this item.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09696 (2).JPG
Views:	120
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	33542

Comment

If not for Stan's illness at the time, Atoll K /Utopia would be more fun. I would love to actually see a version of this film heavily editing out all the totally unnecessary subplots which do not involve the lads anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X