Bids, offerings and buy it nows!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bids, offerings and buy it nows!

OK, time for the next monthly eBay rant! There should be a new rule for sellers, if you state that you'll take offers on your items, the offers you will accept must be at least 20 or so percent under your starting bid! I sent a person two very decent offers for his item, asked after two, "so, what are you looking for in an offer?". In the meantime, he accepted one thirty cents off of the starting bid! Grrrrr!

Actually , Osi , there should be a new rule for BUYERS !

First of all , sellers are not in the business TO LOSE MONEY . UNDERSTAND THAT !

Secondly , when a seller has a listing as a buy-it-now with best offer , they will usually ACCEPT an offer that is REASONABLY lower than the buy-it-now price .

ALSO , when a seller has a listing that is an AUCTION with a best offer , they will usually accept an offer HIGHER than the starting price of the auction . GET IT ??? If your offer is LOWER than the starting bid expect it to be refused and if you keep making lower offers , be blocked by the seller .

That's the whole problem with film buyers on eBay ; they want it for 1.00 and free shipping .

Comment

I've always "got that", Dave, it's just the people who don't realize that those who see a "make offer" are assuming an offer under they persons starting bid,. As a general rule, if someone will be willing to take more to end the auction early, will be people who have a "buy it now", which is always, of course, higher than they're starting bid. Really, people are on eBay to make money? Never occurred to me, Dave.

Comment

Yes Osi ...and you haven't ???

Here's some sellers who are looking to make a killing.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Invisible-Ma...0AAOSwyKNf4B8u

And another who thinks the 80.00 price tag is fair simply because Frank Zappa mentioned the monster from this film in a song......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-IT-CONQ...wAAOSwnltfg25-

Comment

Funny auctions, and the even funnier thing is that you and I, (and so many others), have seen rediculously high prices AND ... Somebody buying them!

Comment

How about this? eBay auctions have ‘place bid’ only or ‘buy it now’ only? Not both for the same auction. No ‘make offer’ option whatsoever unless the seller is willing to take a less but reasonable offer. That’s like going to a yard sale and see something for $10 and you’re dumb enough to go offer $20. Ain’t gonna happen.
            Reason I say this is because I’ve seen many auctions with both options of place bid or buy it now where the place bid starts at $20 and buy it now at $45. Smith sees it and places a bid of $25 and buy it now goes off the board. Jones places a bid at $50. Smith had the option of both ways and probably won’t bid again as he knew he could’ve had it for $45. Jones had no idea he could have bought it for less than he bid. Now Will comes along and really wants it so he bids $80 and wins! He too had no clue of the buy it now. He overpaid the seller $35 as far as I’m concerned.
            The buy it now price should remain until that price is met and sold for $45 as in this case.
            I’ve seen this scenario happen many times. I’m sure the seller is thrilled that this happens and so is eBay but is it fair to the buyer that never knew there was a set price for buy it now? Absolutely not. In fact it’s rather devious in my opinion.
            I won’t bid on an auction now that has a bid already as I don’t know if there was a buy it now price set on it.
            Unless eBay leaves the buy it now price on the item or hides it and ends the auction once the buy it now price is met and tells the buyer if their bid exceeded that price and only charges $45 that the seller had wanted to begin with.
            Go back to the reserve price and let buyers decide if they want to bid beyond the reserve price or not. Don’t use make an offer unless you want less than the posted starting price.
            This applies to all categories on eBay not just film and equipment.
            Just my take on eBay and sellers that pray they get more than what they’re willing to accept in the first place when their buy it now disappears because of a bid being placed.

Comment

I'm not really bothered by the scenario your describing Jim. I've had early birds show up at a yard sale before it was set to open and told them everything is double the price until we open and they have bought items. Records in this case. Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it depending on how bad they want it. If you really want something and you don't want someone buying before you, you will do the buy it now if it is within your price range...or take a chance on bidding for it cheaper but there is the possibility of losing it to higher bidder. When I used to sell on eBay I sometimes set up my sales with buy it now price which is what I wanted to get for it and then would have a auction bid at a lower price to possibly get some bidders. Sometimes ended up selling at the lower price with just one bid. Someone ended up with a bargain. I'm usually on eBay looking for bargains....so it all works itself out.

Comment

What really surprises me are the emails I get from Ebay offering 20% off certain items. I have no idea how that works.

Comment

I hate yard sales! Those little old ladies that see that the item is a dollar and inevitably will offer you a nickel!

Comment

Working...
                  X