The War Of The Worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The War Of The Worlds

Well folks this arrived in the post last week, and I must say its outstanding in every way. The picture quality is really something, not only that, the DTS HD 5:1 Surround surprised me. Sometimes in old films a 5:1 mix is not up to much, but whoever did this remastering did a incredible job. When the action starts, the sound mix through the speakers plus the sub is outstanding. This disc, like the one "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" are from a Australian company { Imprint} which have done a excellent job of both release. The price tag for "War Of The Worlds" new, was only NZ $25 dollars that's about 12 pound.

Anyway this is one classic film, that is well worth getting on the blu-ray format. I still have my Super8, that I will hang onto, as its good digest.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1180090.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	31193
    Special Features

Name:	P1180181.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	31194
    A couple of screen shots...

Name:	P1180096.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	31195

Name:	P1180100.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	31196

Name:	P1180105.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	31197

Name:	P1180113.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	31198

Name:	P1180108.JPG
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	31199

Name:	P1180118.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	31200

Name:	P1180127.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	31201

Name:	P1180146.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	31202

Name:	P1180153.JPG
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	31203

Name:	P1180177.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	31204
    ​​​​​​​

Thanks Graham , but I had done a review of this Bluray when it first came out on this forum , which obviously no one cared for or remembers as it was buried within a few hours by other posts .

Comment

Here's a link to David's previous post.

Comment

Graham, is your blu-ray essentially the same as 'the criterion collection' release that David reviewed in that you can no longer see the wires holding up the Martian ships? I've been looking at getting this for a while now but can't figure out which version is what from the mixed up Amazon reviews.

I need to bury my disappointment at being able to see the wires on my DVD version (something that had never been clear on TV showings or my 200ft silent B/W super 8 version).

Also, where did you purchase it from for the price you did as it's almost £25 on Amazon UK and I would,t mind importing it if the postage isn't too high.

Comment

Graham - seeing the pictures above reminds me that I must still lookout for the digest of this film!

Meanwhile (and by coincidence) look what arrived by post last week....

Comment

Comment

I'm a huge and longtime fan of Welles and meant to order this ages ago.

I think I will listen to it late one night in my darkened living-room and maybe even when the wind and rain are 'howling' up here! 😯😉

Comment

Oooops David sorry about that, I think it was Osi comments about your screen photos, that prompted me to to post these screen shots to show this important blu-ray release, as a separate topic from usual postings, that as you say can quickly get lost, as I have done that many times myself.

I would say that your review of WOTW from the "Criterion Collection" would have come from the same source as the Australian "Imprint". Criterion usually includes more extras such as a booklet is that the case?. Imprint its just the disc.

I will have to check that "Criterion" WOTW is not locked into region "A" where as "Imprint" being Australian, is at least region "B" which works fine for folk in the UK, it might even be A,B,C, but cant see any indication on the cover.

Gary the wires are gone, I did not buy it from Amazon but from "trade me in NZ", They have another copy for sale at the moment for $24.95. Cutting out Amazon in this case.

Gary do check out NZ trade me and see what you think. I am not sure if they sell to other countries outside Australia and NZ.

Ali...that's brilliant, its worth looking out for the Marketing 3/400 the copy I have still holds up pretty well color wise and its a nice edit.

Comment

PS Ali....this is what mine looks like.

Comment

I certainly will Graham!

I'm very much 'old-school' so don't to video-projection, so would love to add this digest to my collection 🙂

Comment

Ali

I would watch out for badly faded prints, as with all this stuff. I have seen of late, some films on the internet that have faded much worse than some of mine, yet came out about the same time. Most films from that era will to a degree fade, but some much quicker than others, due mostly how they have been stored over the last 30-40 years.

I did a bit of checking on the WOTW "Criterion Collection" blu-ray. It is indeed Region "A" locked, although you can buy it from amazon UK, but unless you have a multi zone player in the UK, then I would suggest "not" to get it. The "Imprint" is Region "B" and available at the moment from amazon.uk.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	800px-Blu-ray_regions_with_key.png Views:	0 Size:	102.9 KB ID:	31277

Comment

I just brought War OF the Worlds Blu Ray $23.50 Australia Dollars with free Postage they still have 7 more for sale

war of the worlds 1953 4K blu-ray New & Sealed RB | eBay

Comment

Graham - many thanks for the advice. If I was able to get a hold of a copy of the digest, then I think I'd be best off trying to get one on Agfa stock 🤞

Comment

Working...
                          X