Robin Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin Hood

This is a great forum. Anyway on to Sherwood, I would be interested is peoples ratings and opinions of the theatrical films featuring Robin Hood, and highlighting those available in Super 8, my list of the best in order are;

1. The Adventures of Robin Hood. 1938 surely the greatest big screen rendition of the classic tale, Errol Flynn and Olivia DeHavilland, Claude Rains and Basil Rathbone. Perfect casting, perfect music, pure Technicolor splendour.

I have the 4 x 400 Derann edit and did have a black and white trailer for it.

2. Robin and Marian. 1976 A great favourite of mine, Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn, Robert Shaw and Nicol Williamson.
    perhaps the casting of Sean Connery is a bit odd being Scottish, but his screen presence is awesome.

Dont know if any of this film ever made it to Super 8mm

3. Robin Hood. 1991 Patrick Bergin’s attempt at the tale. This is so much better than Prince of Thieves which came out the same year. It was filmed about 30 miles from where I live and I had the opportunity to visit the set just after filming had been completed at Beeston Castle Cheshire.

Doubtful that this ended up on Super 8.

4. Sword of Sherwood Forest. 1960 Richard Greene’s big screen adventure, with Peter Cushing as the sheriff. Filmed in Ireland and available in a three Robin Hood film Box set for £8 bargain. Made by Hammer Films.

5. A Challenge for Robin Hood. 1967 Barrie Ingram as Robin who is great and the film is charming, with a beautiful Maid Marian and nice forest locations.

6. Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. 1991. A bit of a mixed bag, good music, exciting in parts. Kevin Costner is good but I find Alan Rickmans performance undermines the whole film. The comedic approach destroys any tension between the protagonists. I wish he had played it like Robert Shaw or has he did in Quigley Down Under.

I think there was a trailer available.

The worst Robin Hood - trumpet fanfare Robin Hood 2018. This film is abysmal, the inaccuracy of settings, Taron Everton with a screen charisma of nil. An insult to the legend.

I agree about "Robin and Miriam", a great companion piece to the 1938 classic. My only hope on that one is an aging optical sound super 8 I can pick up.

Comment

Was the Technofilms release Robin Hood the Infallible Bowman originally a cinema released film? If so you can add that to the list. Apart from seeing copies of this 3x400ft version at a Derann open day after they bought the remainder of their stock I know nothing about it.

Comment

Robin Hood the Infallible Bowman more like unintelligible dubbing from Italian to English. There was also a playmate spaghetti western Ringo the Lone Cowboy. I only saw black and white but believe there was colour versions.

One Robin Hood you missed was Ridley Scott Russell Crowe version. Its not bad but not as good as Errol Flynn.

Comment

ROBIN HOOD....1922...Fairbanks at one of his best...Shorty

Comment

Looking through a 1978 Movie Maker guide to films to buy and rent also shows (At least) a 2 reel release by Derann on Men of Sherwood Forest (1954) the Hammer Films Robin Hood directed by Val Guest.

Comment

robin hood 1938 full lenght by red fox ,

best;
              luis caramelo

Comment

I thought the Russel Crowe one in 2010 ? was a lot better than I was expecting, some quite good acting and atmosphere etc.

Though Mr Crowes accent went all over, shame as he did it quite well in the odd scene.

But overall a decent Effort.

I like the kevin Costner ( a bit less ) one but he looks so 20th century, much like after his shave in Dances with Wolves !!!

I would of given that two extra stars if he had kept his chin whiskers on.

I`ve only seen 2 of the derann 400`s edited in the right order so a very full 600 of the 38 Flynn job but even that is great.

Best Mark.

PS if anyone has the 38 FF for sale interested.

Comment

It seems the team making the Costner film had been watching the TV show Robin of SHerwood as they kept the Saracen that Richard Carpenter had introduced into the show. I believe no other film/TV production has one.

Comment

I would agree with you Mark Robin Hood 2010 with Russell Crowe is a good movie. My gripe which has commonality with a lot of Ridley Scott movies is lighting. Okay he is going for atmospheric lighting bu when you are straining to see what is happening in the scene it is a pain. Blade runner and Alien come to mind as well. If a 8mm release was ever to be considered highly unlikely I know the grading would be a nightmare. Can’t believe you haven’t had Errol Flynn Robin Hood in your collection Mark. The 3x400 Wilton edit does spoil you I wouldn’t bother with the 4th 400 it actually spoils the flow and there were lots of issues with the feature length Derann print after the first run.

Comment

Working...
                    X