Tape and VS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape and VS

For what it worths : a professionnal told me that it's a bad idea to keep sound tapes and filmstock in the same box (which happens for films having the sound on separate sound spools) as tapes eventually have vinegar syndrom and contaminate filmstock. For that reason, it is strongly advised to tapes used as leaders by filmstock ones. I have however no idea if the small sound stripe glued on film may affect the filmstock or not (probably, in any case, not quickly anyway as, to my knowlege, this has not been reported). A good way to prevent VS (and this has already been said on this forum) is, Following the same professionnal, to project films regularly or to air them with rewinders. A film should not been let more than five years maximum on a spool without beeing projected or put on another spool and then rewind. It this can help prevent some dramas...

Acetate backed audio tapes certainly can and do go vinegar, but my unscientific experience is unless they have been stored in damp and/or hot environments, they are far less likely to go bad than motion picture film. I assume it has something to do with manufacturing process being different, and audio tape does not get cleaning chemicals applied over the years.

Mylar backed audio tapes will not vinegar.

Comment

Working...
    X