A Royal Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Royal Death

With the sad news of the passing of the Duke of Edinburgh my thoughts go back many, many, years to 1952 when the present Queen's father died, George VI.

On 7 January 1952 just after my 17th birthday I started work as a trainee projectionist at the Odeon Cinema here in Bristol. One month later on 6th February the King died. The management gave instructions that no fancy or coloured lighting was to be used in the auditorium, only the plain house lights. Also, only sombre music was to be played in the intervals.

The latter instruction brought the Chief Projectionist into a flap. We only had "sweet" dance (no vocals) music on our 78s. However, there was a record shop quite nearby so he gave me a ten shilling note (£0.50) to go out and buy a "sombre" record.

The staff were not accustomed to such a request so they called the manager from his office. He was very helpful, soon I left the shop with a 12" record of Handel's Largo.

The record really set the mood.

HANDEL - LARGO - ORGAN OF ALBION CHURCH - JONATHAN SCOTT - YouTube

A wonderful long life, and a man of character and integrity, who fulfilled his role to a "T"! May I wish the queen the best wishes and continued good days.

Comment

I'm just off to fish out my Movietone 'scope Isle of Wight print that shows briefly the Prince and Uffa Fox in the Cowes Regatta to show in tribute.

Comment

I have two 'royal' films. One is the Silver Jubilee Movietone newsreel, released by Mountain on S8. It has badly faded, but I was alive to experience the real thing anyway, and I have not faded as much. I imagine it was a popular release. My other film is a lot rarer I imagine and is a recent acquisition. It is of the Royal Tour of India 1961, and The Duke would have only been 40 years old at the time. The 50min print is on 16mm and printed in Technicolor. It is an absolutely stunning print with eye-popping colour and barely any sign of wear, though it does have some spices between each royal engagement. As I only collect shorts it is one of the longest films in my collection. It is a compilation of Pathe newsreel footage.

Comment

That sounds like a great rarity, Martin! They had one of those things that's getting to be a rarity these days ... a 70 or more year marriage. Sheesh, these days, folks married for 7 months think that they are a success story!

Comment

Martin
            As it was a tour of India it's no wonder the film has some 'spices'.😊😉

Comment

Very true Osi. 70 years is quite a time scale.

Terry, I blame it on the curry I had earlier!

Comment

Working...
              X