Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Long to The Hospitality Room at the Ocean Holiday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Long to The Hospitality Room at the Ocean Holiday!

There are some folk, who in more skeptical moments might just say “It’s just a garage in New Jersey!”, and when you get down to the facts of the matter, it’s true! (-or at least it was!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	CineBenz_Hospitality.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	3244

It’s sad to say the Hospitality Room at the Ocean Holiday is no more!

Maybe there was more to it than just a place for the boss to park his Benz after the film-folk left Sunday afternoon. It was a blank slate, maybe even a blank screen, -and when we gathered Cinesea there we created something good on it.

We pretty thoroughly filled the place up. There were tables all over the place and at certain times cables and gaffers tape running all over the floor. A lot of fun was had there, and friendships were made, -memories too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	The Main Event_Saturday_kebob_MAy9th_DooWop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	3245

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0360_Friends.JPG Views:	0 Size:	146.2 KB ID:	3246

It was often cold and far from elegant, but we put on warm clothing and brought comfortable chairs, and enjoyed every minute!

According to this video, the Ocean Holiday is still there, or at least most of it. When they are done with it, it will be called “Mahalo”. In the meantime, everything below the second floor level has been gutted out. If you know where to look, "our place" is distinctly un-there!

I'm betting there are people we never meet who saw that video and are saying things like "Wow, that's where the best Canasta tournament in New Jersey was." and "That room will forever be called where the biggest quilting bee on the East Coast happened". -wellll, to folks 'round these-here parts, this will always be where CineSea grew up!

-so our old friend the Hospitality Room is gone. The new place is pretty plush by our standards, but I'll always have a warm spot (-and a warm sweatshirt) for the old one.

Here’s the way I like to remember it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hospitality Room.JPG Views:	0 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	3247
    Last edited by Steve Klare; January 31, 2020, 02:54 PM.

Oh my, Steve - Thank you for the recollections - Bring sit all home again - We had so much laughter there, and now we continue it just across the way - Of course, this will always be a particularly warm spot in my heart (even when it was cold out), for John Black, for the glad times - A toast always, Shorty

Comment

To everything there is a season, Shorty!

(-at least we still have it!)

Showtime!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Showtime.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.4 KB ID:	3258

Comment

Looking at these pictures made me feel wistfully nostalgic. Though I hoped Cinesea would be held at The Holiday Ocean Resort until the fateful day when there was no more Cinesea, I realize that life is change; whether we want it or not. Yes, the hotel was run down and had obviously seen better days, but Steve hit the nail on the head when he stated that The Ocean Holiday Resort was like an old pair of shoes: Either you fit it or it fit you. Now Cinesea will be held at The Shalimar where we'll create new memories.

Comment

Steve, Shorty & Joe,

Very nicely said. We're lucky to have been together for 19 shows at the Ocean Holiday. See you at the Shailmar in April for CineSea 21!

Doug

Comment

I never thought it was the Waldorf Astoria, but you know: the old place didn't polish up half-badly!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ocean Holiday Poolside.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.0 KB ID:	3374

I should say this too: as good a location as OHMI was for us, being cut loose so suddenly, we were lucky to land on our feet so well!
            I've seen other events brought to an early and permanent end by this kind of speed bump.

-much thanks to the CineSea leadership!

(What I would give for that "Hospitality Room" sign for my den!)

Comment

This is a great Ocean Holiday Moment!

'twas April o'19, the 19th Voyage!

-astern stormy weather was brewin', but those brave souls stayed to their posts and kept that screen bright!

It's what's really great about any good film convention: Life in general is pretty film-less, yet in these places, for just a couple of days people who enjoy it can be all film, all day long.

-certainly not the worst thing to be doing when it's raining horizontally outside!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ocean Holiday CineSea 18 April 2019.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	3788

Comment

Working...
              X