Winter Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Sports

There are many winter sports played in New Zealand but rugby has always been top of the list. I must admit I do cringe at some of those tackle. Its interesting to note, that the late Robin Williams was a real fan of the NZ All Blacks, he followed rugby quiet a bit.

Anyway this is what most parents and grandparent, have to watch from the side line during the winter months. I should add that a lot of work does go into making sure the kids don't get injured, nobody want's that. Its all about teamwork and having a good time. Here is an example of a Under 11 game

Great fun
    Great mud
    Great backdrop

Comment

Talking about "mud", this was last year.

PS...Mouth Guards are compulsory and must be worn at all times on the field
      Click image for larger version

Name:	67179079_1247423848761918_6306182390590996480_n - Copy.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	34905

Name:	67185086_1247422812095355_1849252805571772416_n.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	34906

Comment

Well what a weekend, yesterday standing in a water soaking bog of a playing field while watching the game, boy did the weather pack up Strange thing though, the wet weather did not bother the kids playing in the slightest, Honestly I don't know where they get the get up and go from Afterwards everyone made a bee line to the clubrooms, including the visiting team etc for some hot drinks and eats.

As soon as the game finished the storm sweeping the country this weekend "strong winds and rain" really hit home but for the kids on both teams they had a great time, unlike me holding onto a umbrella for grim life
        Last edited by Graham Ritchie; May 29, 2021, 08:51 PM.

Comment

And for those coming to this fare city yesterday, it was a bit of a bumpy ride

I remember once being on a flight, with just me one other, and the two pilots in strong North Wester conditions. The aircraft was being flown to Christchurch after a hard landing "wind sheer" to get properly get checked out . I asked the pilots if they wanted a drink of coffee, which they did. I went to the rear galley, where I attempted to make it. It was then I came to realize how hard it is to make something while a aircraft is moving around. However I did try, when I walked through the cabin, and got to the flight deck, there was hardly anything left of the coffee. I had spilt most of it however the pilots were pretty good about it, and invited me to stay and use the jump seat, which is a great place to observe the rest of the evening flight.

After that I have great respect for flight attendants who have to do this type of job in bumpy conditions .

Yesterday....on approach someone on the flight recorded this you-tube video, however I have been on a lot worse

Last edited by Graham Ritchie; May 29, 2021, 09:01 PM.

Comment

With the bad weather at the moment, it was time to watch a movie, that up to now I had never watched. Last night I did project it and it was really good. The movie was called "Jo's Boy" its French with English sub-titles and in many parts very funny, Its about rugby hence the link here

What amused me was a side line comment by the father to the ref to get some glasses, well when Steven was playing 20 odd years ago, my better half Yvonne was ordered off the field, after telling the ref in that game, that he needed to put his glasses on much to the amusement of others present, so for the first time Yvonne came along to Connor game last week. I made her promise me to behave. I still had to remind her a few times .

Anyway if you don't mind sub-titles this is a good one to watch, there is a lot of truth to how parents can act and can make fools of themselves, plus this film has a good story to it

Comment

I spoke to my better half this afternoon and said do YOU remember being asked to get of the pitch, after telling the ref he needed to put his glasses on 20 odd years ago Yvonne smiled and said yes I do remember that. Well I said I watched a French movie last night where in French with English sub-titles the actor does the line "Come on Ref, Get Some Glasses". Funny they used almost the same line Yvonne thought that was amusing.

One thing you will see in this film, is his son wearing a New Zealand All Black shirt later on, as a present from his later NZ coach, The shirt has the silver fern on it, which is the symbol of New Zealand national indentity since the 1880s and thought of highly in France. According to the French its the All Black team to beat, if they can

I should add that France, South Africa, Australia and here, do take there rugby very serious. .

Name:	P1190600.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	35434

Name:	P1190601.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	35435

Comment

Well I better not complain about standing in a wet bog of a field/paddock this morning watching the game, after reading about the heat wave and drought in the USA. I certainly hope things improve for folks going through this heatwave. The lack of water is serious stuff, you can't survive without it, or the farmers with there crops drying out.

Anyway this photo was not today but the other week, with Connor step brother with the ball, Connor in support. I am really impressed how everyone in both teams get together afterwards and exchange a prize for the best player in the opposing team before there own.

Name:	184142701_10159716941516393_4759781036814462395_n.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	36594

Comment

Well this was a surprise the last time I was a Round Hill was 1975 and took this photo. My grandson just the other day asked me if I could show him how to ski, my reply that as I am just about 70 years old it might not be such a good idea Although in saying that I bet there are many fit over seventies doing it. But for me I don't think so

Anyway its a stunning part of the South Island and this is that old photo taken from Round Hill long long ago

Name:	DSCF2810.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	39229

Comment

With the school holidays finished it was back to watching Connor and his team mates doing this kind of thing on a Saturday morning, only two more games for them this winter season. Funny thing though last Saturday, was the three cheers given to the referee, who was also the coach for the opposing team.

Now out here rugby is taken lets say "serious", and there are no shortage of side line experts, however for the first time I can remember, they were not doing the usual side line comments "quiet". The old timer doing the referee for the first half was even asked if he could continue to do the second half as well by Connor team coach. What made his referee work seem different, was like this example of stopping the play on field, getting all the kids together to talk about not using the elbow in defense that kind of thing.

He had the approach right through that it was not so much about who was winning but how the game "should" be played. I noticed that the coaches got together with him afterwards, and my thinking was, this guy had in his day played professional in the past.

Hence three cheers for the referee from the kids

I doubt I will see that again .

PS. Girls also play at this level in any team and they are good at it to.

Connor doing a tackle...mouth guards are a must you are not allowed on the field without one.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	06-26-2021_122548.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.1 KB ID:	39587
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	06-26-2021_125658(1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	223.8 KB ID:	39588
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	06-26-2021_125658.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.3 KB ID:	39589
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	06-26-2021_125950(1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	220.8 KB ID:	39590
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	06-26-2021_125950(2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.7 KB ID:	39591

Comment

On the way home after the game we called into the mall for his reward

I sent the above photos plus a few others to the Springston Rugby Club Facebook page, if they wanted them. I got a reply they certainly did, and posted them with the comment "Up the Mighty Springa!" .

So there you have it, Its also a record for the kids involved to look at, That's the thing about all photography, it might not be to relevant straight away, but it does become more so as the years move on.

Last year the Director General of Health in New Zealand who still is, was invited to play about this time last winter, hence the bottom you-tube link

Name:	06-26-2021_145025(2).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	39635

Comment

Well that's winter sports over for this year. I did manage to take a little bit of video back in June at one of Connor game, and sent that to the clubs Facebook page. When I sometimes hear folk say, that young kids spend to much time on the internet, and not out in the fresh air, they should try this. I doubt many side line experts, parents/adults would last. I told Steven my son, Connor dad, that "he" and the rest, would not last ten seconds out there on that field, and that Connor and his team mates would have him on the deck wrapped up like a Christmas present before he new it.

It would be great to have even a tiny amount of that energy these days

Comment

Its been a wee bit wet lately so I had time to sort out the last video of Saturdays game and post it to Connor mum who was unable to attend. One thing for sure I wont get any prizes for my camera work , I could not keep up with the ball but recorded some anyway. Two more games for this winter session of 2022. It will be interesting to see if he will continue with it next year, many will move onto other things..

Connor coach was also referee during the second half, he did a lot of running around to keep up with the play, that's for sure.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	279964478_10160385755616393_5496534195194528297_n - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	290.8 KB ID:	63997
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	279172585_10160385755681393_3129919650339537316_n (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	250.2 KB ID:	63998
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	283348867_10160410483701393_361467280747504763_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.3 KB ID:	63999
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	284928115_10160422040226393_4148110580391279660_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.1 KB ID:	64000

Last Saturday attempt to record a little bit of that game on video...

Comment

Well folks I woke up this morning after Connor final game yesterday to find, that in Johannesburg South Africa, the All Blacks "New Zealand" beat the Springboks "South Africa" 35 to 23 in front of the Springboks 62,000 fans. Thank goodness they have lost there losing streak of late with this win. So the great news is, that flags in NZ wont be flying at half mast and the country wont go into mourning this week.

Everybody here are now happy. most likely I will never hear the end of it. Although its still on my "wish list" that Scotland can one day beat the All Blacks like the Irish did a few weeks ago,
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	_126309458_gettyimages-1242482181.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.0 KB ID:	64666

Comment

Well we are back into this session of rugby , today was the first time I have managed to get to a game, although we are only a few weeks into it. I was surprised to see the same bunch as last year, as I thought some might give it up, including Connor and do something else, not so. Lost track of the score though so asked his coach the final result, his reply 100 to 1 by the other team ha ha. They did not have a good day, but that's the way things can work out. As I said to his coach you win some, you lose some One youngster landed up visiting the hospital A / E with a arm injury, hope he is ok.

On the way home we called into the mall and bought Connor and Zoe some sushi, myself a "large" coffee. I have to say though that the Springston Club really look after the kids, always put on a good feed and drinks for the opposing team as well and the coach of each team gives a small prize to what they consider the best player in the other team, they all seem to enjoy it. .

A couple of left over photos from last session, nothing has changed, same kids, same team.

Name:	2023.png
Views:	146
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	81501

Name:	05-14-2022_122522(1).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	81502
                              Connor with the ball far left