Power supply to LED G4 bulb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply to LED G4 bulb

Can these bulbs be driven from a normal 12 volt supply ie a 12v plug in charger?

I can see no reason why not.

Here's a charger. 12watt, 12volt, 1A.
    12V, 1A, 12W, Plug In Power Supply, 2.1mm Plug (farnell.com)

And here's a lamp. 3watt, 12volt @ 6000K
    G4 LED Bulbs Cool White 6000K 3W Replace 10W 20W Halogen Bulbs AC/DC 12V No Flicker Non-dimmable 360° Beam Angle Energy Saving Light Bulbs for Home Lighting, 10-Pack Eco.Luma: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting​​​​​​​

Comment

Seems like a good replacement for the Pathe "Home Movie" and ACE machines. Unlikely to cook the notched titles? Ken Finch.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen. Am I correct in assuming that a 12volt 6watt led bulb would draw 0.5 amps?

Comment

Yes. 6 divided by 12.

Comment

I would think that, in any projector, the area illumination of the LED lamp would be nowhere near as bright as the 10w halogen, which has a tightly wound filament.

Comment

Difficult to say. It depends on the part of the LED used. It could be more directional and a higher percentage of the light could be aimed at the condenser lens, though the example given looks a bit wasteful. A 1.2W one I bought for editor lamp replacement when my last bulb goes is more compact and quotes a 100 lumen output verses the 88 lumen for a 10W halogen.

Comment

I have a 12 volt power adapter hooked up to my Path Baby. I use a 6 watt LED bulb, however I can also use a 10 watt halogen. I also wired an inline on/off switch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_8266.jpg Views:	6 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	34698 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210519_004705222.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.8 KB ID:	34701 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210519_005159939.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	34700

Here is a comparison of a halogen bulb vs. LED. I haven't tried any other LEDs. The type I show in the photo is the only one that has worked for me so far.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PatheBaby _LED vs. Halogen.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	34702
                Last edited by Janice Glesser; May 18, 2021, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Janice
                  thanks for those photos and interesting that the led gives a much brighter image than the halogen. Very nice Pathe Baby you have there and even complete with the projector mat - lovely 👌

Comment

That is the sort of LED lamp that I have.

Comment

Working...
                    X