Cresclean Film Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cresclean Film Cleaner

I have used Cresclean for cleaning and lubricating films after my supply of Thermofilm was all used up. I have noticed that it seems to evaporate if left in the plastic bottles it is supplied in if not used over a period of time i.e. about 36 months. An unopened bottle is now only about half full. A little goes a long way so a 250cc bottle lasts quite a long time. It has always been stored in a cool place. Has anyone else noticed this? Lesson learned, perhaps in future I should decant it into a glass bottle. Ken Finch.

Hello Ken, Ive just checked my 2 spare bottles of Cresclean that ive had about 2 years,both sealed as supplied.They are half empty!
    Same as you have found.

Comment

For myself abandoned all of the old style film cleaners 2.22, Thermo and others as soon as a film friend gave me a small sample of FILM GUARD to try. I now use it on my 8, 9.5, 16 and 17.5mm films and the degree of print protection is astounding. REELY!

Some of my edited K40 films from the 70's were getting a little jittery but after Film Guard application quite a change.
      I dont work for them!

If it's good it's good and it is. All the old Wax or Tetrochloride cleaners are obsolete and as with Tetro life threatening.

Its REELY a joy to know your new or precious films are getting a degree of protection and it does work well.
      You choose. 🤓

Comment

I believe that due to old solvents being outlawed the new one is more volatile and evaporates more easily from bottles that are not sealed completely.

Comment

Brian,thats a good point and would explain the loss.Think I will contact CHC and get their comments about this.

Comment

I normally use Film Renew but I occasionally use Cresclene as I believe it does have some light scratch 'filling in' capability. I've also noticed the reduced quantity in the last bottle I obtained. I'm sure I tightened the cap as much as possible some time ago, so perhaps a chemical expert is needed to fully explain this!

Comment

I also find that Cresclene slowly 'evaporates' over time. I'd say that at the rate I use it about 50% goes on film and 50% disappears into thin air. On the plus side I never have any trouble finding the bottle as I can sniff it out from a mile away. I probably should really decant it into a glass bottle I guess.

Comment

I would think that it is the solvent that evaporates and that the ingredients that lubricate the film become more concentrated.

Comment

A quick search in relation to the problem brought this to my attention, which addresses the issue of solvents in plastic bottles: https://p2infohouse.org/ref/27/26389.pdf

Comment

That appear to be the answer Adrian. I guess the plastic bottles are used as less likely to break in transit. Transfer to glass bottle on receipt in future. Where do we get the alternatives from in the U.K. and do they have the same problem? Ken Finch.

Comment

Here are some small glass bottles with screw lids. They come in five sizes.
                      3pcs 15ml Mini Jar,Vials with Lids,Small Bottles: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Comment

Working...
                      X