Happy Birthday Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Star Wars

Happy Birthday on your 44th Birthday! It brings back fond memories of before the dark times, before your father George Lucas went over to the dark side, digital.

Indeed. Having just watched Godzilla 1956 4 times I guess we can fire on the Elmo for STAR WARS.

Remember the UK release as clear as day in 1977. Rushed out of Drama School in London, down the tube and off to Leicester Square on the 27th Dec '77 with half of our class arriving 5 minutes late as the opening titles rolled. Ticket lady said they were full but as they spotted our Drama School badges let us in to stand at the back. The cinema was jammed packed with 25 of us stood at the back leaning on the brass hand rails for the duration of the film....
    I should mention we were kids or young adults and the back row of the cinema was quite busy.
    Being in entertainment we didn't really see much of Christmas as we were working in Pantomime , caught up later on tho.

They had a super delicatessen next to the cinema and it was my first taste of New York cheese cake. Been hooked ever since probably for the memories..

Comment

I believe it was so popular that as well as Leicester Square it ran at the Dominion, Tottenham Court Road as well. That was where I saw it in 70mm for a second viewing as I didn't think the 35mm print did it justice.

Comment

Haha... I never realized Star wars opened on my birthday. I definitely would take being 44 again 😁 May the force be with you.

Comment

Congratulations Janice

Well its 44 years, how time passes since we watched it here back in NZ 1977. Without doubt it was a huge hit at the time, but the biggest hit for me was the 400 footer Ken release onto Super 8. That film changed the landscape of commercial release onto the home cinema market. With the later "Empire Strikes Back" part one, then the second part of Star Wars followed by part two of "The Empire Strikes Back" Super.8 was going great at that time.

My own disappointment was watching "Return Of The Jedi", watching those furry Ewoks running around just did not work for me, but I did think "The Phantom Menace" was good, and later bought the 400ft Scope release of the Pod Race from Derann, an ideal subject for the Scope format.

Later years I ran 35mm prints of "Attack Of The Clones" and "Revenge Of The Sith", the 35mm print quality was poor, and the films themselves came and went without a lot of interest. I think by then the hole Star Wars thing with the public here at any rate, had become old hat.

On a more positive spin, although I never watched the 35mm prints of Clones and Sith, I did watch them later on blu-ray using the VP, and found myself enjoying them both, thinking, they are not as bad as I once thought. The only other "Star Wars" movie I have watched so far, has been "Rogue One" which I thought was very good. I liked that one

I did watch Star Wars, "A New Hope" only a few weeks ago, and to be honest, started to zzzzzz off, even the attack on the death star was making me yawn, so I guess, that after 44 years I am finely done with Star Wars, in saying that it was good while my interest in it lasted .
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-03 19-31-26_0001.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	35139

Name:	2015-04-03 19-36-21_0001.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	35140

Comment

Lee, isn't it true that Star Wars was first seen on that 200ft super 8, before it was in the movie theaters in England? It may sound strange that a film can be that life changing, but Star Wars truly changed my life. I won't play the "violin" here, but I had a crappy childhood, and to cope with it, I developed an active fantasy life, and Star Wars was wonderful at helping me "lift off" from this world into a wondrous space opera of a childhood

Comment

True Osi. Seem to remember I had to wait for the sound 200ft as they sold very quickly so collected mine on the way home from the cinema. Some UK projector dealers at the time were doing a basic projector and SW film as a deal back then.

Yes childhoods can be a bit mixed. Most of mine were very long days working in entertainment, lots of country wide commuting and not getting home till midnight, not good for a 11 year old when it got somewhat busy. I don't think they would get away with it today and yes it was very hard work.

Star Wars A New Hope is endearing to us and wasn't it magical to project it in your bedroom with a few pals round to enjoy it.

Comment

Who remembers getting this with there Film Making magazine long ago?, neat cover .

Name:	2015-06-01 08-42-30_0001.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	35172

Comment

Yes and I've still got it.

I also remember walking round part of an Exhibition (I think it was the upper hall at Earls Court so could have been the Ideal Homes show) where there were photographic companies showing their wares. Almost every one that was stocking cine projectors was showing the Star Wars extract to demonstrate them.

Comment

Working...
                  X