Renown Pictures Film Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renown Pictures Film Club

I am sure that many UK members watch Talking Pictures Television which is run by Renown Pictures Ltd. I would like to draw their attention that Renown issue a monthly Film Club Newsletter which is mailed entirely free. I look forward to receiving my copy once a month.

The June/July 2021 issue has just arrived, and on page 4 there is a very interesting article about Phil Sheard of Classic Home Cinema. It appears that Phil supplies some films for exhibiting on Talking Pictures. Noel Cronin says, "Although we licence a lot of films from major studios, we also contact private film collectors to see what treasures they hold, over the years I have built relationships with many private film collectors."

I do hope that Noel and Phil will not object to this posting.

Here's a link to this month's newsletter.

I love these newsletters, they are very much like the old film lists from back in the day.

https://www.renownfilms.co.uk/wp-con...Newsletter.pdf

Comment

Thanks for posting that Maurice. Wow, what a great read! I had no idea this great British material was available on DVD. Do you know if Renown will ship films to the US?

Comment

Paul
        The DVDs are probably only Region 2 which will not play in the US.
        You can contact them on:-
        info@talkingpicturestv. co. uk

Note that the email address has been shown purposely incorrectly. To use, shorten by removing the two blank spaces.

Comment

They do ship to the US. There is an additional charge of £20.85 for Royal Mail. If the disc is region coded it will play in a region free player or it can be ripped to disk.

Comment

The DVDs that they produce under their own 'Renown Pictures' label are, I think, region free but are PAL. European DVD players generally play both PAL and NTSC but I'm not sure that this applies for the rest of the world.

Comment

Gary, I have not had problems playing PAL DVDs on a computer in the US. But as you said, this does not mean it will work for everyone.

Comment

Hi Ed, I think it's a bit different with using a computer, or at least a laptop, to view DVDs, rather than a DVD player connected to a TV.

I believe that a laptop will allow you to automatically switch between region codes for DVD playback but only for a set amount of times (5, I think) before locking. Don't think it matters if it's PAL or NTSC.

Comment

Maurice,
                  I presume the newsletter is via email? I just registered over there but there did not appear to be a paper alternative.

Comment

No, Michael
                    Mine is a paper copy and comes in the post.

Comment

The US does have some of it's own versions of the dvds in region 1. Have a good hunt friends.

Always look forward to the book arriving and many collectors have helped with materials and pleased to do so.

Comment

Thanks, Maurice. Not sure where to register for this as there doesn’t appear to be anywhere to put an address.

Comment

Michael
                          Why not phone them to make sure.
                          0808 178 8212 (It's a Freefone number).

Comment

Is it because you have made a past purchase from Renown Pictures Maurice? I was quite surprised when you said you received a paper copy as I didn't think anyone did that anymore (not for free anyway).

Comment

Gary
                              That might be possible, but I can't confirm your suggestion. I just don't recall how I got my first monthly copy.

Comment

Working...
                              X