The 1980s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1980s

Its funny the things you see at the museum, as mentioned before they were doing a 1970s-1980s theme. In the display one of the items was a VHS tape with the title "The Last Starfighter" that made me . Anyway as the actual 35mm film print is still sitting on the platter from a previous screening, I thought it would be nice to once again run the film print, as a change from blu-ray and VP of lately. So once again the old Ernemann 2 was doing its thing last night .

Anyway here is a short extract I took from a previous screening last year

Cant look back to the 1980s without thinking of this film from 1984, still popular to this day. I also have a stunning color 16mm print of the 1986 release of Karate Kid 2 . The B/H projector shown here, I bought second hand around the mid 1990s and it still runs great its my main 16mm machine. Lately I have added some extra cooling. The three claw pull down works really well, and cant ever remember the last time it lost its loop....Anyway back to the 1980s

PS Note the handy gate brush that Maurice was talking about.

Comment

I took this photo while we were at the museum the other day, this is part of the 1980s display they had, note the "The Last Starfighter" tape included in there display....looking at this stuff made "me" feel old
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110137.JPG
Views:	687
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	3963

Comment

Ah! the 1970s- 80s

Comment

The early home computes will be on display soon/now, that is if the museums can afford to buy them going by the price of an original Apple machine in a recent auction.

Comment

We projected The Last Starfighter in 70mm on its release. Two projector Fedi 11's! Delightful movie not like the pap that passes for entertainment nowadays

Comment

As a single mom with 2 boys that were very competitive and seldom agreed with each other...it was movies that unified our household I had a VHS tape of "The Last Starfighter" that was recorded from HBO. That tape was played over and over again. When I'd put on that movie the boys would settle down and I'd have a hour and a half of pure bliss.

Comment

Now, this is just personally challenging!

You see, I graduated from High school on a sunny day in June, 1980 and that decade was supposed to be my "Future"! (It turns out that time didn't end on December 31st, 1989: in 1992 I got married and the next phase began!).

-and now my "future" is being preserved in museums!

We have an Aviation Museum here: right down the road from where Charles Lindbergh took off for Paris. I was there a few years ago and saw an Aircraft Battery Charger I worked on in my 20s. (That made me feel OLD!)

-I guess at the end of the day It's not so bad if a GOOD thing you've done winds up in a museum!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
                  The early home computes will be on display soon/now, that is if the museums can afford to buy them going by the price of an original Apple machine in a recent auction.
                  The original Apple machine went for such big dollars is because they were hand built by Steve Jobs and partners, and so few of them were manufactured, and even less survived. It is believed that there are less than ten of them in the world. On the other hand, the original Windows PC (all versions) were manufactures in the thousands, and you would be lucky to get $100 for one these days, even if it was complete and in good working condition.

Comment

Graham Ritchie I have a lot of my digital media on a Plex server. Both my sons have access to the films in my Plex library. I can also see what movies they are watching...and guess what? I just checked the server and my oldest son (the college professor) is watching "The Last Starfighter."

Comment

Brilliant Janice

PS. This is a modern take of the trailer, which I came across last year on you-tube.

Comment

Yesterday I loaded this film onto the platter for another soon to watch screening, here is a short extract taken from a past one.

Comment

Ah! another memory trip back to the 1980s, Flight Of The Navigator was very popular at the time both in the cinema and later on VHS to hire.

One thing I really liked about it was the aerial photography during the end credits...

Comment

One of the best films of the 1980s we watched at the cinema, and one of the best theme music from "Arthur" by Christopher Cross. I bought the 45 just after seeing the film and to this day still have it.

Enjoy..

Comment

My old 45 .

Name:	P1120422.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	26246

Name:	P1120420.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	184.6 KB